Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
lawrence

Lenders and building managers

by lawrence Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:17 pm

[size=18]SC from PREP2.

Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased, apartment buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

(A) of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased
(B) of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to lend money increasing
(C) of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks to lend money
(D) the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend money increased, therefore
(E) the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly willing to lend money, so

OA is C,
but D looks also OK?

what's the difference between C and D?

Thanks in advance.[/size]
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Lenders and building managers

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:21 am

lawrence Wrote:[size=18]SC from PREP2.

Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that because of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased, apartment buildings are being rehabilitated at a pace unseen for a decade.

(A) of the rental market in the area being renewed, as well as the willingness of the banks to lend money being increased
(B) of the renewed rental market in the area, as well as the willingness of banks to lend money increasing
(C) of the renewed rental market in the area and the increased willingness of banks to lend money
(D) the rental market in the area renewed and the willingness of banks to lend money increased, therefore
(E) the rental market in the area was being renewed and banks were increasingly willing to lend money, so

OA is C,
but D looks also OK?

lawrence - you don't need to specify the size of your text in every post, especially not multiple times. thanks.

--

before analyzing any of the choices, note that you can totally ignore the words "Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that". you can think of this as just introductory text; the grammar of the remaining part of the sentence is exactly the same as it would be if it were standalone.

--

there are lots of things wrong with choice (d).
first of all, you can't say "because the rental market in the area renewed". you can't use a participle in this sort of context without an actual verb - for instance, "because the rental market in the area was renewed".
but it makes more logical sense to use "renewed" as an adjective here, anyway: "because of the renewed rental market..."

unlike "increased", "renewed" can't be an intransitive verb: in other words, you can't say "X renewed". intsead, if you're going to use "renewed" as a verb, you have to say "Y renewed X", where Y is the agent that caused the renewal and X was the thing that was renewed. (none of the answer choices uses this structure.)

--

you also can't say "because [sentence], therefore [sentence]".

you have 2 viable options:
(1) "because [sentence], [sentence]" (or "because of [noun/phrase], [sentence]")
(2) "[sentence]; therefore, [sentence]" -- note that you CANNOT write "(sentence), therefore (sentence)". placing "therefore" after a comma is strictly british usage.
redable
Students

by redable Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:58 am

Dears,

a couple of questions about the option A:

although "being renewed" and "being increased" seem awkward, the main sentence uses "are being rehabilitated...".

It seems to me more parallelism....

the original sentence uses "as well as". is it necessary to use "and" here?

Thanks in advance
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:23 am

redable Wrote:1.
although "being renewed" and "being increased" seem awkward, the main sentence uses "are being rehabilitated...".

It seems to me more parallelism....

nope.
first of all, "parallelism" is irrelevant here, since those aren't parallel structures; grammatically, they are in completely different clauses, and, in terms of meaning, they are cause and effect (i.e., not parallel context).

also, the grammar of those structures is incorrect as well, for reasons that are explained here:
post26678.html#p26678

the original sentence uses "as well as". is it necessary to use "and" here?

Thanks in advance

this is not a decision that you are expected to make -- in this context, either of those two phrasings could be legitimate.
in general, "and" is a default preference (because it's simpler) while "as well as" is used when there is some sort of rhetorical reason to do so.
this is not something i've ever seen tested, and i'm basically 100% sure it will never be tested (because the difference is quite subtle, much more subtle than anything that would actually be dispositive in an official gmat problem). so it's nothing to worry about.
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:08 am

Hi instructors ,

I hope , i am understanding properly.

I have a question about the answer choice b).

Is Choice b) incorrect because of the faulty parallelism between renewed ( functioning as an adjective) and increasing ( functioning as an intransitive verb)

Please do let me know your comments.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

aps_asks Wrote:Hi instructors ,

I hope , i am understanding properly.

I have a question about the answer choice b).

Is Choice b) incorrect because of the faulty parallelism between renewed ( functioning as an adjective) and increasing ( functioning as an intransitive verb)

actually, the problem is worse than that -- this answer choice is trying to use "renewed" as an intransitive verb, which is impossible. (i had to go look up the meaning of "intransitive verb" to answer this question ... heh)
english adjectives don't follow the nouns that they describe (except in some very rare, usually ceremonial, instances such as "attorney general"), so "renewed" is not an adjective in this choice.
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Hi Ron,

Can you elaborate a bit more on choice b) ?

Why choice b) is not the best choice for this answer ?

Of course leaving the parallelism issue due to as well as aside.

Btw i also feel that as renewed is modifying the noun (rental market) , it is functioning as an adjective

of the renewed rental market in the area

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:38 pm

aps_asks Wrote:Hi Ron,

Can you elaborate a bit more on choice b) ?

Why choice b) is not the best choice for this answer ?

Of course leaving the parallelism issue due to as well as aside.

Btw i also feel that as renewed is modifying the noun (rental market) , it is functioning as an adjective

of the renewed rental market in the area

the big problem with that choice is the placement of "increasing". that word is intended as an adjective modifying "willingness", so its placement is unacceptable.
as an analogy, consider "because of john's high credit card debt" as opposed to "because of john's credit card debt high". the second of these is definitely not ok.

(the parallelism in that choice is basically the same as that in the correct answer.)
aps_asks
Forum Guests

by aps_asks Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:58 am

Thanks Ron !
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:01 am

you're welcome
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:18 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
lawrence Wrote:[size=18]SC from PREP2.

OA is C,
but D looks also OK?

lawrence - you don't need to specify the size of your text in every post, especially not multiple times. thanks.

--

before analyzing any of the choices, note that you can totally ignore the words "Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that". you can think of this as just introductory text; the grammar of the remaining part of the sentence is exactly the same as it would be if it were standalone.

--

there are lots of things wrong with choice (d).
first of all, you can't say "because the rental market in the area renewed". you can't use a participle in this sort of context without an actual verb - for instance, "because the rental market in the area was renewed".
but it makes more logical sense to use "renewed" as an adjective here, anyway: "because of the renewed rental market..."

unlike "increased", "renewed" can't be an intransitive verb: in other words, you can't say "X renewed". intsead, if you're going to use "renewed" as a verb, you have to say "Y renewed X", where Y is the agent that caused the renewal and X was the thing that was renewed. (none of the answer choices uses this structure.)

--

you also can't say "because [sentence], therefore [sentence]".

you have 2 viable options:
(1) "because [sentence], [sentence]" (or "because of [noun/phrase], [sentence]")
(2) "[sentence]; therefore, [sentence]" -- note that you CANNOT write "(sentence), therefore (sentence)". placing "therefore" after a comma is strictly british usage.

hi,Ron,I don't understand why "because[sentence],therefore[sentence]" is incorrect,as I see,therefore is an adverb, not a conjunction,the former is a subordinate clause,the latter is main clause,it is not a run--on sentence or two subordinate clauses,why can not they put together,please clarify ,thank you very much!
Suapplle
Forum Guests

by Suapplle Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:25 pm

Sorry,I have another question.
"Because of john's credit debt high" ,I don't understand why this sentence is incorrect,I think the meaning is clear.
Besides,what's wrong with choice E?
Please help,thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:59 am

Suapplle Wrote:Sorry,I have another question.
"Because of john's credit debt high" ,I don't understand why this sentence is incorrect,I think the meaning is clear.

In English, adjectives come before nouns. So you could have "because of John's high credit card debt", but not the reverse.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:00 am

Besides,what's wrong with choice E?
Please help,thanks!

* Choice E has past-tense verbs. These actions are meant to be reported in the same timeframe as "buildings are being rehabilitated", so that doesn't make sense.

* "Because" + "so" = redundancy.
The exit ramp was closed, so I was late. (fine)
Because the exit ramp was closed, I was late. (fine)
*Because the exit ramp was closed, so I was late. (not fine)
Arjuna719
Prospective Students

by Arjuna719 Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:37 pm

Hi Ron

Can you please explain why should we ignore the opening text 'Lenders and building managers in the southwestern section of the city report that'.
Isn't the sentence structure is Independent Clause Dependent Clause,Independent clause- you can't join 2 IC's with comma
Or is it an inverted indirect speech which makes the structure like this. For example:
Arjun: I will study tomorrow because I have to give GMAT next month (Direct Speech)
Ron: Arjun said that because he has to give GMAT next month,he will study tomorrow. (Inverted Indirect Speech)

Thank you for your help.

Regards