Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

READ BEFORE YOU POST: Official Practice Verbal guidelines

by StaceyKoprince Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:19 pm

In addition to regular forum rules and information, this sticky contains rules specific to the Official Practice CAT Verbal questions folder; read this information even if you have already read stickies in other folders.

This folder is for Official Practice CAT VERBAL questions only; all problems should be DIRECTLY FROM the Official Practice CAT. ManhattanGMAT Verbal Strategy Guides, and ManhattanGMAT CAT Verbal questions have their own folders; please post any questions from those sources in the appropriate folder.

Official Practice Pack Questions CANNOT be posted here; no official questions that have to be purchased can be posted. You can post any of the free questions that come within the Official Practice CAT or as part of the 90 free questions.

Multiple-Choice Question Posting protocol
Please follow the below rules; if you don't, your question will not be answered.

0) BEFORE YOU POST, search for the text from your question; if it already appears in the database, read the existing posts to see if your question has already been answered. If not, add your question to the existing thread for that problem.

1) ONLY post questions that you have personally seen on the verbal section of Official Practice exams in this folder; DO NOT copy from other web sites. Incorrectly transcribed Official Practice questions are floating around the Internet and causing people lots of consternation in their study.

2) Use the first five to eight words of the problem as your Subject heading. Also, post the entire text of the question and answer choices. Do not use abbreviations.

3) Be very explicit about your question / problem. Don't just post the text of a question without telling us why you're struggling!

4) Post one problem per thread; if you have more than one problem to review, start a new thread for each problem.

5) Only use image files for complicated diagrams or other things that cannot easily be typed in (eg, geometric shapes or seriously complex fractions). If a question is posted as an image, it will not appear in any search results for that particular problem. Also, it takes significantly longer for us to download and view image files - the more we have to do that, the fewer problems we can get through. It is EXTREMELY rare to need an image file for a verbal question.

6) Please be polite and respectful. Inflammatory, profane, or otherwise unacceptable posts will be deleted and the poster banned.

Other Notes

We instructors will strive to respond to posts within 5 business days, but we can't always guarantee this during high-volume times. We will do our best though! If you are currently a student in one of our classes, use your office hours and/or your instructor for any pressing questions.

If one user posts 5 or more questions in a short period, it may take longer for that user to get a response to all questions because we will try to allocate our time evenly over all posters (to ensure that one person doesn't get a monopoly on instructor time).

We may respond to some very open-ended questions with a request to narrow the topic. For example, "How do I get better at Reading Comp?" is too broad to be answered in a forum (we spend hours on this in class!).

Happy studying!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
as2764
Course Students

Re: READ BEFORE YOU POST: GMATPrep Verbal guidelines

by as2764 Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:47 am

hi Stacey,
thanks for the guidelines and clarifying the forum priorities as well. this will ultimately make it faster for students to find what they're looking for.
only thing i am wondering here is that do i create separate threads for different questions of the same, say, RC passage?
appreciate your reply.
thanks,
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:32 pm

if you are posting several questions from the same RC passage, it is probably best if you post them in the same thread. however, if there is already a thread for another RC question from a passage, you can feel free to start a new thread for your question..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
as2764
Course Students

by as2764 Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:43 am

thanks, Tim
Ashish
Share not just why the right answer is right, but also why the wrong ones are not.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:27 am

you're welcome..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:03 pm

Now that GMATPrep 2.0 includes multiple different products, we have to update our guidelines here.

Any FREE problems from GMATPrep can be discussed here. This includes problems from the practice tests and problems from the 15- question sets that come with the software (for free).

Problems that are from GMATPrep Pack #1, a PAID resource, cannot be posted here. :( (We wish we could, but it's a copyright issue.)

So please do NOT post GMATPrep problems here that do not show up in the *free* materials. Thanks!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
NL
Prospective Students

by NL Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi Stacey,

It’s extremely hard to find RC passages in the forum (if I don’t know them before). The probability is exactly...nearly 1/100. If you encourage people type "RC" (or "CR", or "SC") at the beginning of their posts, that would help other students who want to study from great explanations of MGMAT’s instructors.

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:51 am

NL Wrote:Hi Stacey,

It’s extremely hard to find RC passages in the forum (if I don’t know them before). The probability is exactly...nearly 1/100. If you encourage people type "RC" (or "CR", or "SC") at the beginning of their posts, that would help other students who want to study from great explanations of MGMAT’s instructors.

Thank you.

This is a good idea; when I come across RC-related posts, I may edit the titles accordingly.
There are, though, about seven years' worth of posts on the site already, so that would be unlikely to make much of a dent in the problem.

You can always try searching for words that are common on RC but rare on other question types, e.g., "passage", "main idea", "author", "paragraph".
tanwarkml
Students

by tanwarkml Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:37 am

Although it is clearly stated above that paid resources from official GMAT must not be posted here, I just wanted to make sure that the same has not been done yet.

I'll be buying the paid resources (exam pack 1 and questions pack 1) after I finish these resources. I don't want to get inflated scores in "exam pack 1" as it is the only remaining reliable source for me to gauge my preparedness for test.

Can you please confirm that there are no questions for paid resources?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm

We do the best we can to filter out illegal posts, but we cannot make any guarantees.
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:39 am

tanwarkml Wrote:I'll be buying the paid resources (exam pack 1 and questions pack 1) after I finish these resources. I don't want to get inflated scores in "exam pack 1" as it is the only remaining reliable source for me to gauge my preparedness for test.

The overall score is the least important thing about a practice test. (The standard deviation of any particular score is 40-50 points, so the meaning is at best extremely vague.)

If you get "inflated scores" because you're doing a thorough review of the problems, then that's a GOOD trade-off. Not a bad one. You're trading away something with very little, if any, practical utility (= a numerical score), in exchange for something with HUGE practical utility (= review of well-written problems).

No contest there.
GraceZ853
Prospective Students

by GraceZ853 Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:25 pm

The guildline is really great. And I am sorry to ask about th search. Yesterday I used the search bar, however today I can not find it. Thus, I can not search whether the problem I would like to ask has already been asked. :cry: :cry: :cry:
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun May 24, 2015 12:08 am

I see a magnifying glass at the top of the main page of the forum next to my name. Does this help you?
Tim Sanders

RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue May 26, 2015 10:02 am

GraceZ853 Wrote:The guildline is really great. And I am sorry to ask about th search. Yesterday I used the search bar, however today I can not find it. Thus, I can not search whether the problem I would like to ask has already been asked. :cry: :cry: :cry:

you can also just go to google.com and type "site:manhattanprep.com", then a space, then your search term(s). note that there is NO space on either side of the colon -- that's super important.

(this is how i search the forum.)
SAHARSHB917
Students

by SAHARSHB917 Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 am

I have got doubt about a question from gmat prep exam 5. As per guidelines, I can't post about it. Is there anyway I can clarify my doubt?

Thanks.