Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
gmat123

2 Sentence Correction Questions

by gmat123 Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:14 am

Hi,
I have 2 sentence correction questions from the GMAC paper tests on which I would really appreciate some guidance.
[deleted - from a banned source]

The correct answer is A. I understand that C, D, and E have either pronoun or "it" errors so they can be eliminated. But I don't understand why B is wrong (i know that the "in that their" is awkward), but doesn't A violate parallelism which B fixes by changing "they are potentially devastating" to "they can potentially devastate" (and isnt parallelism is bigger error than awkward construction?)

[deleted - from a banned source]

The correct answer is A. I can eliminate B, C and E based on idiom error. I don't understand why A is better than D, especially since A seems to have the awkward "the more than" vs. "more than"..
Also, is it because we want to use "setting" vs. "set" since the clause that begins with setting is a subordinate clause, not the main one? If so, what's the best way to see this, I'm really struggling with this error (similar to the Problem in the Official guide about "the sloth that hangs from trees, sleeping and moving so infrequently"...how does one figure out if the "intent" of the "correct" sentence is to make the clause main or subordinate.
Where can I get more practice on this?

Thanks so much for your help!
student

Re: 2 Sentence Correction Questions

by student Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:56 pm

1) I think in answer choice B, "their" does not have a clear antecedent. It could refer to homeowners.

2) The answer is not D. Robert Carter completed one action, which was filing the deed of emancipation. That action set free the slaves. The wording "and set free" in D means that Carter filed the deed and set the slaves free - two separate actions, but it is the deed itself that set the slaves free.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Please make sure to read (and follow!) forum guidelines before you post. First, the paper tests are a banned source. Second, this is the math folder. :) Third, if you post from allowed sources in future, each problem should get its own thread.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep