If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
BB

2009 Applicant - Profile Eval and GMAT needs please?

by BB Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:06 pm

I plan on applying this fall for 2009. I'm currently studying for the GMAT (with MGMAT's help) this Summer and am wondering what score range I need to have a realistic shot at my target schools.

Profile (as of today - experience and age will be +1yr when entering school)
Age 25
Undergrad - Double Major - Marketing and Economics from Oklahoma
GPA - 3.75 (4.0 for the last 5 semesters)
Major GPAs - 4.0
Awarded Outstanding Senior in Marketing and Supply Chain
Leadership Role in Business Club
Leadership Panel for State Blood Bank

Experience
- 2 yrs in sales at General Mills with a promotion after 1 year
- 1 yrs as Assocaite Marketing Manager with smaller CPG company ($1b)

Mentor for Big Brother Big Sister
Active in Community Growth Organization
Very good interviewer

I want to continue a career in CPG Brand Management at a top 5 CPG company with a progression towards top level management. To do this, I'll need an MBA from a top school. I'm targeting schools specifically strong in Marketing as well as General Management. My top schools are Kellogg, Wharton, HBS; followed by Chicago, CBS, Tuck, Duke with Indiana as a back-up due to strong CPG brand management program. I'm target a 700+ GMAT but I'm wondering if I need a VERY high GMAT score for the top schools or am I competitive enough without needing a 750+. So basically, what GMAT scores do I need to have a good chance at the above schools?

Thanks!
BB

by BB Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm

For the experience, General Mills was first and I am currently in the Marketing role at the smaller company and will have 2 years of experience at the time of enrollment.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:15 pm

Given that your GPA is very strong, to be honest it doesn't matter what your GMAT is so long as it's in the high 600s or above. Seriously. And the difference between 700, 720, 760 and so forth in your particular case isn't going to make a huge difference (in other words, your GMAT score won't make a huge difference no matter what it is, so long as its around 700 or so). In practical terms, shoot for 700+, and if it's there, it comes down to everything else.

So with "everything else", it's all about the essays, rec letters and interviews. Since you're applying this fall, there's not a whole lot you can do in a few months to fundamentally change who you are (without it appearing to be window dressing), so just focus on the GMAT prep. Once you're done with that, focus on the written app, and continue doing what you're doing at work and in your extracurriculars.

With that in mind, there are folks like you at all the schools (including Wharton, HBS, and Kellogg) so you won't exactly be out of place at all. It really comes down to how well you execute your application, coupled with a bit of luck on your side (as you know the evaluations can be subjective).

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com
BB

by BB Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Alex,

Thanks for your quick response. I'll make sure and put a lot of time into the essays and application. I hope that having a lot of passion for such a specific career goal that I've had for the past 8 years should really help as well. Also, I know at least one of my recs will be extremely strong since my former director at GMI was a big fan of mine and has recently been promoted to a VP. The other 2 should be fairly strong as well.

Thanks!
AD

Profile Eval

by AD Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:15 pm

Hi,
I'm planning to apply for the Fall 09 Session in US B Schools. As of now I am looking at Stern, Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Chicago, Darden, Yale, one of H/S/W.

Here's my background:

I am an Indian male, 26, working for the last 2 years with an US based Telecom Company and Service Provider for Voice and Data, in their Software Development centre in Bangalore. I recieved a dual bachelors-masters in technology from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi, in 2006 in Computer Science, with a CGPA of 6.5/10 for my Graduation and 8.0/10 for my Masters. I have taken my GMAT and got 740 (50q / 40v).

Besides that I am an amateur musician and have been a part of my college and company Band where I have played the roles of a Rhythm Guitarist, Vocalist and a Tabla (Indian Percussion Instrument) player. I also do a bit of writing and besides maintaining my blog, have regularly contributed to my college magazines. I have been volunteering as a Music Teacher in a Bangalore based NGO for the last 6 months or so.

Very broadly speaking, I intend to do an MBA so that I can move into Consulting with an eye on Technology in the short term and a gradually diversify into a more general role in the long term.

In light of the fact that the 'Indian IT male' demographic applies in huge numbers to the B Schools in the US, I was looking at using the time I have to improve my chances and make my application stand out. Also I just wanted to check if my stats (GMAT/GPA) fit well into the schools I am targeting?

It would be great if you could suggest which schools would be the best suited for me given my background and aspiration.

Thanks,
AD
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 pm

In short, there's not much you can really do in a few months that will change your candidacy which has been built up over the past 10+ years of your college/work life -- just continue to perform well at work and keep involved in your preexisting extracurriculars. Other than that, it's just a matter of waiting for the new applications to come out in the late summer.

With that in mind:

Kellogg, Columbia, Tuck, Chicago - these are your "stretch" schools. In short, I think you have a shot at getting in assuming your application is well executed, but you'll need a bit of luck as well. Choose 2 of these schools (they will give you the same quality of education and career opportunities, so it's a matter of personal fit).

Stern, Darden, Yale - these are your "sweet spot" schools -- schools where you should be competitive assuming you put together a strong application. Apply to all 3.

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton - in short, I think you're wasting your time with these. HBS and Stanford are simply not Indian IT friendly. With Wharton, you will be a long shot normally (there are Indian IT dudes who get in, but compared to the sheer number who apply, it's still a trickle, and it really comes down to stellar essays/interview + luck), but I think it's going to be even more competitive this year for folks like you. With a weakening job market, you're going to get a larger number of very high caliber young candidates that would normally forgo b-school, but who will apply to these three schools. These folks will further crowd out people like you. You can put in an amazing application, and you won't get in.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com

by Guest Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:43 pm

Alex,

Thanks for ur prompt reply. Just one more thing.
Could you perhaps suggest a few more 'sweet spot schools' and a few safety schools for me?

Atish
MBAApply

by MBAApply Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Using the shorthand terminology from an article in my blog (http://mbaapply.blogspot.com), in your case:
- H/S/W are out of reach
- Rest of the Elite Eight are stretches
- Sweet Sixteen (outside of Elite Eight) are sweet spot
- Rest of the Best are safeties

As for which specific schools, I assume you can do the research on your own to figure out which ones are the best fit for you personally.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com