Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
liu1993918
Students

3 sentences in the idioms part of manhattan sc guide

by liu1993918 Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:56 am

After I read all the sentence in the idioms part in the SC guide, I have some questions.

First, a right sentence: the idea developed into a project.
However, in my opinion this sentence should be: the idea is developed into a project.

Second, another right sentence: I lose my books whenever I LAY them down. (present tense of different verb)
I cannot understand the "(present tense of different verb)" part.
In my views, we should use "lie", because it is present tense.

Third, the last right sentence: she REQUIRES OF her friend THAT work BE done. (subjunctive)
I am confused about the usage of "of" here.
Is the meaning of this sentece differ from another sentence—she requires that her friend do work?

Thanks in advance.
I know I ask some stupid questions.
tim
Course Students

Re: 3 sentences in the idioms part of manhattan sc guide

by tim Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:42 pm

1. Either could be correct depending on the intent of the author. The important lesson is that you should NEVER try to "fix" SC examples or reject answer choices that don't conform to what you *want* to see. Instead, you should only be looking for actual errors.

2. "Lay" can also be present tense. The more important thing here is that "lay" and "lie" are two *very* different verbs. Look them up.

3. The prepositional phrase here is just a modifier indicating whom the requirement is directed at. "She requires that work be done" is the main idea, and "of her friend" modifies "requires".
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html