Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Diablo

30 day study plan

by Diablo Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi,

I took the gmat prep and honestly didn't focus as much as I could. I'm schedule for another exam and trying to put in the work now. I have some gaps in my math fundamentals but generally score higher in the verbal.

I crapped out at a sub 500 score. I have a reasonable second attempt at mid 600s.

My question is what's the best study method for 30 days? So far I am hitting each book, followed by OG exam questions and then the question banks. Weekdays I try to pull 4 hours broken into an hour apiece, and weekends more.

Anything else that I should consider? Helpful advice, thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi, Diablo - just FYI, most people don't find 30 days to be enough time. The general study plan is usually more like 2-3 months. 30 days may be fine for you, but you'll likely have to find yourself setting some priorities and sticking to them, as it's tough to cover everything in one month.

When you say you took "the gmat prep" - do you mean you took a prep course? Or do you mean you took a GMATPrep practice test? Let us know what you did to prep before so we can help advise you. (There isn't one "best study method" that is universal across everyone - it depends upon your starting score, your goals, your prior prep, and your strengths and weaknesses.)

Do set priorities based upon two factors: (a) what is more common on the test, and (b) what are my strengths and weaknesses?

For example, in math, number properties problems are very common. Probability and combination / permutation problems are not. So you would want to spend a lot more time on NP than on prob / comb / perm.

Then, within number properties, you might discover that you are good with odd and even problems as well as exponent and root problems, but you struggle with divisibility and primes. So you'd want to study only the harder problems in the former (strength) categories and spend more time going over the fundamentals in the latter (weakness) category.

Given your lack of time, I wouldn't go to the question banks at all. Focus on the red strategy guides and then the OG questions - that's it. Don't just do lots of questions in a row. Actually study the ones that you do - what are the shortcuts? what is the problem really testing? what are the traps? is there a better way to do the problem than the way I did it at first (even if you got it right the first time!)? why did I get it wrong - content error, careless mistake, misunderstanding of test, fell into a trap? how could I make an educated guess? how is my timing? what is the best method for me to do this problem, taking into account both accuracy and efficiency? And so on.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep

by Guest Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks you for your response Stacey.

I think I can pull it off because I am looking to apply for this fall. I don't have the greatest gpa, but my w/e is good along with a strong application. i've submitted my application already but notified admissions about my second intent to take the exam.

i will dedicate as many hours as possible to knocking it out, which should condense the 60 days into 30.

And yes, I took the virtual mgmat course, with great teachers. i' know i'm a general 500s taker, but my goal is to join the 80th percentile. I will probably go with your suggestions regarding the more common math types.

And wouldn't the QB prove useful as "practical input" to the guides?
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Question banks are good to illustrate principles / solving strategies (because we have thorough explanations), but the questions themselves are not real questions - only the OG has real questions. You may want to do some question banks, but I would place a higher priority on OG.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep