The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
jigar24
Forum Guests

540 to 700, it's possible! (study strategy)

by jigar24 Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi,

As the subject line suggests I got a 700 (M49 V36) on my recent GMAT exam. My previous score was 540. I studied for nearly 6-8 weeks (3 hours a day on weekdays and 6-7 hours a day on weekends). I also took good 15 days break from work prior to my GMAT.

My study strategy:

1) Went through all strategy guides of Manhattan G. Particularly, I must have gone through the sentence correction guide several times, I know a lot of the content by heart now :). ManG strategy guides lay a good foundation, especially for those who are working and have been out of touch with these concepts.

2) Skimmed through Kaplan GMAT Premier 2014 strategy sections. Did not find them so useful as my mind was attuned to ManG's strategy guide. Also, they are not as detailed as ManG strategy guide (in all fairness, can't expect one book to match up to 8 separate guides)

3) I am from India where we have a rigorous Math curriculum in schools. I used some of my school/college methods for certain topics (around 15% of topics).

4) Solved each and every problem of Kaplan 2014 Premier book (both math and verbal sections)

5) Solved ManG question banks along with examples and practice problems in each chapter in the strategy guides (more focus on Math)

6) Solved Math and Verbal Review (2nd editions) almost entirely. Solved half of OG 13th edition. Left out first few hundred sums. But I recommend that you solve each and every problem in all official guides for both sections.

7) Took 12 mock tests:

3 full length ManG tests
4 Kaplan tests
1 combination of Kaplan (Verbal) & ManG (Math)
4 GMAT prep tests (2 free + 2 paid)

My average and median scores were around 690. I wrote essay and solved the IR sections in each test, helped me build my stamina for the 4 hour grill. Final test day went smoothly, didn't struggle too much.

My scores in ManG tests were the worst. ManG math is really really tough. I ALWAYS struggled finishing the math section in time. I would have to blind guess on at least 7 questions (in some cases up to 12) in the math sections. All those who are taking ManG mock tests, be prepared for the grill. DON'T get disheartened if you struggle with your time. Make sure you revise and learn your from your mistakes. Make sure you solve each question you blind guessed on (after the test) and see the solution for all the questions you got wrong. Any number of tests you write will be useless if you don't spend time reviewing them. I used to take around 3-4 hours to review and solve and resolve wrong/flagged/guessed problems of the mock tests. It's okay to score low in ManG mocks, take it as learning experience, but make sure to LEARN from your mistakes.

ManG has a SUPERB review mechanism whereby you can use multiple slicers to practice your weak areas (by topic, by accuracy etc.). Use that tool to you best advantage.

Use a combination of Kaplan, ManG and GMAC materials to prep. These 3 are sufficient. Again, make sure you revise your mistakes - it's absolutely critical.

Lastly, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! I practiced around 2000 problems (both math and verbal) (not counting the mock tests).

My email id is jigar24@gmail.com Please feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions etc. I will be happy to help! (please note: I am more likely to respond on weekends)
emilek375
Forum Guests

Re: 540 to 700, it's possible! (study strategy)

by emilek375 Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:48 am

hi,

I just took my first GMAT. Actually im very disappointed. I got a 520 and a 29 en Math and 32 on verbal.

I dont understand what happened to me. Y mi last prep test from de GMAC software i got 690, and I was feeling very confident because i can solve almost every math problem.

When the math section srtated i kind of blanked, the first 3 questions I knew how to solve them but could do it there, and this happened a lot. After many questions that I just could hit the right score I started to get desperate and tried to guess. I was not nervous, I actually thought that this was normal and that by the end of the test i would get a 600 or plus.

On the verbal part i actually think i got many of the SC right , but with the pressure of time y couldn't think in de CR and started guessing or just selecting the least extreme language or concussive question,

I need advise please, because im really disappointed and sad, and i don't want to give up the idea of an MBA in one top school.
jigar24
Forum Guests

Re: 540 to 700, it's possible! (study strategy)

by jigar24 Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 am

Hi emilek375,

Sorry to hear about your low scoring attempt. It's normal to blank out under pressure - it happens to the best of us. However, you can't let that happen to you all the time.

It appears to me that you need to take more practice exams to build your stamina and mentally prepare yourself to deal with exam day pressure. I would advise you to take at least 12 mock exams, in real exam conditions and within actual GMAT time frame. Make sure that there is no disturbance - no phone, no doorbells, emails etc. and that your breaks after each section are timed too and within stipulated 8 minutes.

PS: I am assuming that you are through with your concepts, if not please consider using the strategy I have described above. I am not saying this is the only way, but it's an approach that worked for me, and that it could work for you too.

Good luck and all the best. Keep me posted.