The smoke has cleared, the test has come and gone. Feel free to share your experiences with your peers.
taimur.rafiq
Course Students

640; Hd 8 min remaining at end of Quant!!!!

by taimur.rafiq Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Took the Gmat for the First time just today: 11nov13.

IntR 7 82%ile
Quant 40 50%ile (!!! had 15 mins for last 4 Qs (the easy ones!)
Verbal 38 84%ile
Total 640 73%ile

And math is supposed to be my strong suit, although manhattan prep has really polished my verbal. In the two practice tests i took (Mgmat: 650; official gmac:700) I scored consistently above 80%ile in verbal.

I'm not still not sure how i messed up the Quant section. I think i was worried about my timing so i ended up making many careless mistakes. I had 15 minutes to go and i was on the last 4 questions already!! And even then after spending a good 2.5 minutes on my last question, doing it over three times unnecessarily because i had so much time, I ended the section with 7 minutes remaining!!
Got: 40 50%ile

Predicted my score before acceptng scores and wrote 650 on my pad. Got a 640 on the screen.

Now after the exam, I think I'm actually happy with my math percentile of 50% because math is actually my strong suit, or so i thought. When I saw the score of 640 I was hoping to see as low a math %ile as possible. In my SATs I had a 90th %ile math score and I have A's in most of my math courses in college and earlier.

I wanted to share my experience and ask for advice and opinion on the very bizarre way I attempted the Quant section and how to prepare for the next GMAT to achieve my target score of 700 or above.. Is it close or am i dreaming?
isean120
Course Students

Re: 640; Hd 8 min remaining at end of Quant!!!!

by isean120 Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 pm

I had almost the EXACT same thing happen to me today and I'm almost exactly in your boat! I feel your pain!
thisisveek
Forum Guests

Re: 640; Hd 8 min remaining at end of Quant!!!!

by thisisveek Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:12 pm

I had plenty of time at the end of quant too. I'm sure my score could've been better. I feel that the MGCats are harder so you tend to try to rush through as fast as possible. The actual GMAT seems to have "trickier" answer options. They are good at catching careless mistakes and offer the "correct" careless mistake answers so we wouldn't even know that we got it wrong.