Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
GMATBLACKBELT

640 Q47 V31... 640 Again Q44 V35

by GMATBLACKBELT Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:42 pm

Hi, I just got back from my test today and am very disappointed. I studied very hard for the first test and got slapped w/ a 640. My verbal was very low. This isn't normal for me since I usually do very well on the verbal.

This time around I felt more confident. Especially in my Quantitative abilities. I was sure I got a 48+. Verbal, I'm not really sure what happened there either.

I just don't get it, all my practice tests say I deserve a much higher score than a 640... Although, I have to admit this has been my most popular test score b/f I finally broke it way back a few months ago. GMATPreps first time were 640 (lol this score just loves me) and 710. Retakes were 720 and 740. I whiz through the OG now. For V I don't even bother looking at it anymore b/c I already know the answer b/f I get to the choices. So i had to use materials from different companies.

I just can't shake this score and I know my abilities are much better than a 640. My target schools all demand scores around the 700 mark so I don't think my 640 will cut it. My GPA is great, but GMAT will def. mask that.

I have exhausted all OG material, GMATPreps, all 6 MGMAT tests, all the QBanks, all MGMAT books. Nothing left there, so I have to turn to other sources.

What advice can you give me at this point? I feel lost. Cheated from my true GMAT abilities. I want to go to my target schools. I just don't know how to attack the GMAT from here.

Sorry for long post, im just really down right now.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:38 am

Write down everything you remember about the test - good and bad, in detail. Share any of it that you want here so we can start to diagnose what went wrong.

Did you take one of our courses? If so, you qualify for a free post-GMAT Assessment phone call, during which you and one of our experts will discuss your performance, diagnose what went wrong, and devise a plan for taking it again. If you'd like to do this, please email studentservices@manhattangmat.com and ask to do a post-GMAT Assessment. You will get a "debrief" form that you fill out and return; once you do so, we'll schedule your phone call. Try to fill the form out as thoroughly as possible - the more you can put down, the more information we'll have to work with to help you.

Also, how have you done historically on standardized tests? Did you underperform on the SAT relative to what you expected, given your grades? Have you gotten excessively nervous on big tests in the past and had that affect your performance? Things like that can have a major impact, too, so it's important to know if that's going on.

Finally, just because you've finished the material doesn't necessarily mean you're done studying it. Knowing the answer is only the first step. Can you explain that problem, thoroughly, to someone who doesn't know how to do it? If it's verbal, can you articulate exactly why the wrong answers are wrong? Etc. You're not done studying a problem until you feel like you can teach it - ALL of it - to someone else.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep