If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
BenjaminK262
Course Students

710 GMAT -- should I retake?

by BenjaminK262 Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 am

Hi there! I'm a college senior trying to decide if I should retake the GMAT or not. After studying for four months (took a 2 month Manhattan Prep course and then self-studied for the next two months), I received a 710 (V41, Q45). I will be working in investment banking for two years and have a 3.9 GPA from a top-20 private university in Economics and Political Science. Is it necessary that I take the GMAT again if I intend to apply in 2-3 years after graduation to the top 10 business schools (my ideal school would be Columbia)? Does a 710 still give me a shot or do I need to get it up to remain competitive? I really do not want to have to take it again and should also note that I have spent so much time studying for the GMAT already and am not even sure if I can get my score up.
mbaMissionKrista
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: 710 GMAT -- should I retake?

by mbaMissionKrista Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 am

Hi @BenjaminK262
Thanks for getting in touch. I love that you are preparing for b-school so far in advance! YES. If you can take the GMAT again and score 730+, that would be advisable. To maximize your chances, you want to come in at higher than a school's average GMAT. For most schools these days, that number is 720ish. So while you're still in college and test-taking is still in your wheelhouse, give it another shot and aim for 730+. Specifically, I'd like to see 47+ on the Quant side.
One thing you could consider is hiring a private tutor to help you get your Quant up. That way, you have someone who is an expert focused on you and exactly what you need. This is much better than spinning your wheels on your own. It's not cheap but if you're going into banking, maybe it's a cost you're willing to consider. Also get the extended score report from GMAC so you know exactly where you need help.
I hope that helps!
Krista