Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
jiayou2015j613
Students

a conflict between a Prep SC and a Mahanttan SC.

by jiayou2015j613 Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:02 am

Hi Ron,

Nice to write to you again.

Just now, I found something in a Prep SC conflicts with another in a Manhattan SC and please help figue it out where I think wrong with the below details:

1. The Prep SC:
--------------------------------
As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing the bee to sustain a fatal injury.

A. As the honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed, staying where it is inserted, this results in the act of stinging causing
B. As the heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes
C. The honeybee's stinger, heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted, results in the fact that the act of stinging causes
D. The heavily barbed stinger of the honeybee stays where it is inserted, and results in the act of stinging causing
E. The honeybee's stinger is heavily barbed and stays where it is inserted, with the result that the act of stinging causes

[note: ] The answer is E. Here is an explaination not to choose Option C that the part "heavily barbed and staying where it is inserted" is a parenthesis, causing "The honeybee's stinger results in the fact that the act of stinging causes ...", which is inconsistent with the logical meaning of the original sentence, for not The honeybee's stinger itself results in the act but the whole statement does, right??

2. The Manhattan SC:
--------------------------------
The javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover, the discus is actually more likely to injure bystanders because, especially when wet, it can slip out of the thrower's hand and fly in a random trajectory.

A) javelin has a sharp point, which is more obviously dangerous than the discus; moreover,
B) javelin has a sharp point and is obviously more dangerous than the discus; however,
C) javelin's sharp point is obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
D) javelin's sharp point makes it obviously more dangerous than the discus, even though
E) javelin, with its sharp point, is more obviously dangerous than the discus; however,

[note: ] The answer is E.
For the E, I have a few confusions as follows:

(1) As I metioned above, the Answer E is similiar with the Option C in the above Prep SC and inconsistent with the logical meaning of the original sentence. Is it right?
(2) As I remember that Manhattan SC book mentioned that in this situation "more obviously dangerous " is kind of modification ambiguity, as "more" can modify "obviously" or "dangerous". That's why I exclude the Option E and chose B. However, after noticing the Answer Explaination, I do understand that "more" must modify the obviously due to the comparasion of the fact. I am really confused.
(3) The last, I would like to know which goes first priority: Logical Meaning or Rhetoric?

Sorry for all the trouble brought to you. Please help me off the hook. Thanks a million.

Happy Chinese Jragon Boat Day!
Maggie 6/22