Math problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com

A firm has y% manufacturing capacity - tricky DS

by Guest Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:39 pm

Can someone help me with the following question.

A firm has y% manufacturing capacity. It plans to increase its capacity by x%. Will it have enough capacity for next year?

1) y.(100-x) = 5040
2) y-x = 100

Re: A firm has y% manufacturing capacity - tricky DS

by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:51 pm

Guest Wrote:Can someone help me with the following question.

A firm has y% manufacturing capacity. It plans to increase its capacity by x%. Will it have enough capacity for next year?

1) y.(100-x) = 5040
2) y-x = 100

I would say the answer c
y-x=100, we can rewrite y=100+x, then Sub. into statement 1: (100+x)*(100-x)=5040, then to find out what's x. since x can not be negative, so use the positive x to find out what is y.

by Guest Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:57 pm

I may think about this wrong. I was thinking that if the max capacity is 100%, i.e. y = 100%, then increasing it by any x% will not be possible because y is 100% and capacity can't go above that.
B says that the difference between the two is 100, so it implies that y% is always greater than 100% (we can consider that y% is 120%, and x% is 20% or y% is 130 and x is 30% so the difference is always 100).
If B says that y% is greater than 100%, no matter what x% is, there will not be enough capacity. So I picked B.

Am I thinking completely wrong on this?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:51 am

Guest Wrote:I may think about this wrong. I was thinking that if the max capacity is 100%, i.e. y = 100%, then increasing it by any x% will not be possible because y is 100% and capacity can't go above that.
B says that the difference between the two is 100, so it implies that y% is always greater than 100% (we can consider that y% is 120%, and x% is 20% or y% is 130 and x is 30% so the difference is always 100).
If B says that y% is greater than 100%, no matter what x% is, there will not be enough capacity. So I picked B.

Am I thinking completely wrong on this?

yeah, i'm with you here. the difference is that i'd restrict the interpretation to sensible percentages, meaning that i wouldn't allow ridiculous numbers such as 120% of capacity.
with the problem as written, this would mean that the sole sensible interpretation of statement 2 is
y = 100
x = 0
y can't be any greater (that's the meaning of "capacity"!), and x can't be less (unless you're allowing a decrease to be masked as a "negative increase", something i'm 100% positive that they wouldn't do).
so i guess that would be sufficient.

--

there's no way this problem, as written, can come from the gmatprep software. some of the official problems are weird, but the writing is always crystal clear - no ambiguity or vagueness, ever. so the original poster has either misattributed the source or butchered the original version of the problem.

what do you say, original poster?
MaheshK726
Students

by MaheshK726 Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:45 am

Can Some body post the original !
will be glad to know the answer! :lol:
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:14 pm

well, these posts are all 8-9 years old, so... it's very unlikely that the original poster will resurface. (:

the thread is now locked. (if someone finds the original source of this problem, then, a new thread should be made.)