Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
nash.avi

A fundamental concept on modifier and pronoun

by nash.avi Sat May 30, 2009 12:23 am

This question is homemade (I created this one) :)

[1] The Slumdog2, directed by Danny, is his second in a series of movies about optimism and hope.

[2] The Slumdog2 is the second movies directed by Danny in a series of movies about optimism and hope

I'm not sure which one is correct. Could you please help with this.

My fundamental question is: Can a pronoun in the main clause refer to a noun in the modifier?
In [1], "he" refers to Danny, but Danny is in the modifier.
In [2] "directed by Danny" separates "second movies" and "in a series...". So this looks wrong to me.

Please help.

Cheers,
Avi
manojeet.c
Students

Re: A fundamental concept on modifier and pronoun

by manojeet.c Sat May 30, 2009 12:53 pm

I think there is a subtle shift in the meaning in [2].

In [2] it seems SlumDog is second in the series but not the second by Danny !!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: A fundamental concept on modifier and pronoun

by RonPurewal Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:51 am

nash.avi Wrote:This question is homemade (I created this one) :)

[1] The Slumdog2, directed by Danny, is his second in a series of movies about optimism and hope.

[2] The Slumdog2 is the second movies directed by Danny in a series of movies about optimism and hope

I'm not sure which one is correct. Could you please help with this.

My fundamental question is: Can a pronoun in the main clause refer to a noun in the modifier?
In [1], "he" refers to Danny, but Danny is in the modifier.
In [2] "directed by Danny" separates "second movies" and "in a series...". So this looks wrong to me.

Please help.

Cheers,
Avi

first off, you can't say "the second movies"; you have to say "the second movie", since of course we're only talking about one movie.

i'll assume that this was a typographical error.

--

these sentences have two different meanings.

the meaning of the second one is actually the opposite of what was posted by the above poster. if you say "the second movie directed by danny in a series...", then this movie could be the 18th movie in the series, but it's only the second of the series to be directed by danny. in other words, all but one of the preceding movies (no matter how many there were) were directed by people other than danny.

--

question 1:

this seems ok to me, because of the total lack of ambiguity.
i.e., there's nothing else to which "his" can possibly refer, so this should be ok.

--

question 2:

i don't see anything wrong with this construction, but it seems a bit awkward.

if the actual meaning conveyed by this version (see earlier in this post) is the intended meaning, then here's an alternate version:

of the series of movies about xxxxxx, slumdog2 is the second directed by danny.