abcehac
Forum Guests

A question about the verbal phrase

by abcehac Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:08 am

I have a question about the vebal phrase, especially ahout the ing word.
I want to know whether "SVO, ing..." can describle the O. or n. before the comma.
Thank you!

When an ing is followed by a comma and put at the end of the sentence, it can describe the subject's action which add to the main action, or show the result of the main clause.

But I find some exceptions. For example, from prep the right sentence is:Organized in 1966 by the Fish and Wildlife Service, the Breeding Bird Survey uses annual roadside counts along established routes to monitor changes in the populations of more than 250 bird species, including 180 songbirds.

And another one from OG:For members of the seventeenth-century Ashanti nation in Africa, animal-hide shields with wooden
frames were essential items of military equipment, protecting warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

And why the ing word can not decrible the n. after the prep. ?
As the sentence in OG:
The Glass House Mountains in Queensland, Australia, were sighted in 1770 by the English navigator Captain James Cook, who so named them supposedly because their sheer wet rocks glistened like glass. We can not use the word naming.
natalie
Forum Guests

Re: A question about the verbal phrase

by natalie Fri May 27, 2011 3:05 am

for ur first question, ", including" is not fit in the ", Ving" rule. so its different.

for ur seconed question, because ", Ving" must modify the Subject, then the in structure of "prep+object of pre.," the "object of pre." cant be the Subject.
the following cant be a subject:
1. the Object of a verb.
2. the Object of a preposition.
3. conjunction/ subordinating conjunction + clause.

Natalie
gmatwork
Course Students

Re: A question about the verbal phrase

by gmatwork Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Can someone please confirm that a participle (ing) noun modifier cannot modify the object of a verb, object of a preposition BUT can only modify a Subject noun?

OG -12, SC # 1 Page 685, Explanation for choice (d) hinges on this principle.