Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
tomslawsky
Students

A question for Tutors and GMAT Gurus

by tomslawsky Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:15 pm

What is it that separates a 99th percentile test taker from an 800 test taker. I know an 800 is ultra rare, but why wouldn't a professional test taker be able to crack 800 some of the times he/she takes the exam. Do you think it is careless errors? IQ limited, in that no matter how good you are, the exam will spit out something you just can't do? Or is it another factor, such as even if a test taker answers all of the questions right, there is a penalty for not working the questions fast enough, implying that quickness of thinking is also part of the "ability equation"? I'm curious as to your inputs on this topic.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: A question for Tutors and GMAT Gurus

by StaceyKoprince Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Careless errors are likely part of it. At that level, you're also talking about serendipity. Even 99th percentile test-takers have strengths and weaknesses, so the difference between a 780 and an 800 could depend on getting a couple more questions in your areas of strength vs. weakness. There's energy level - do you "peak" at exactly the right time? Are you in the zone? :) All sorts of factors.

There's also an issue of frequency - we can't just go take the test every month. If we could, then yeah, eventually "professional test takers" who are already scoring in the 99th percentile would most likely hit the 800 at some point (in my opinion). Technically, we're not supposed to take the test at all unless we're applying to b-school, and if people take it too frequently, GMAC will suspend that person's ability to take the test (unless / until the person responds with a reason why she should be allowed to take it - and the only acceptable reason is that you're applying to b-school).

There's also the issue of what happens if you do get an 800. Starting about 4 years ago, if someone gets an 800, they're automatically forbidden to take the test again until that score expires in 5 years. So, after that happened, things changed a bit. Sure, we all want the bragging rights of an 800... but then we can't take the test again for 5 years... so there's a trade-off. Personally, it'd be great to have the 800. Professionally, that would actually be a bad thing now. I know I have erred on the side of NOT getting the 800 since that change was made, and others in my company have done the same.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
ConAzer1
Students

by ConAzer1 Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Tom,

A friend of mine just scored a 770 (he is looking to go to Harvard), and he told me that there are only 20-30 people each year that score an 800. I haven't verified this fact, so take it with a grain of salt, but what I mean to say is that is that it is very very difficult.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:56 pm

Yes, I think it's something like less than 10% of the 99th percentile testers (so one tenth of one percent) score an 800. The vast majority of 800 scores are by different people since they instituted the policy of banning someone from taking the test for 5 years if they score an 800 - but I know of at least 2 people who have scored 800 twice* (including our instructor Jon Winawer!).

The first time was before they had this restriction.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
MdAbuAsad
Course Students

by MdAbuAsad Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 pm

StaceyKoprince Wrote:Yes, I think it's something like less than 10% of the 99th percentile testers (so one tenth of one percent) score an 800. The vast majority of 800 scores are by different people since they instituted the policy of banning someone from taking the test for 5 years if they score an 800 - but I know of at least 2 people who have scored 800 twice* (including our instructor Jon Winawer!).

The first time was before they had this restriction.

For curiosity, May i know the name of another instructor who scored 800 twice?
also, may i know a bit about Jon Winawer?
Thanks...
“The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained in sudden flight but, they while their companions slept, they were toiling upwards in the night.”
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Jon used to teach for us but no longer does; he earned his PhD and now works in academia:
https://wp.nyu.edu/winawerlab/

The other person I know about was someone who doesn't work in test prep, just someone I know personally.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep
JackW148
Forum Guests

by JackW148 Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:26 am

Hi, Stacy
I am new to this forum. I don't see a "post a reply" in verbal section of the forum. Why does this happen? I am confused.

Jack
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:31 am

Hi! For most of our forums, only our students can post replies (people taking classes/tutoring or doing a self-study program). We still keep the forums viewable / visible to everyone for free (so you can read teacher replies to particular problems), but this folder is the only instructor folder where you can post if you aren't one of our students. I'll still advise anyone on test / study strategy. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
ManhattanPrep