Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
amateur
Forum Guests

A question on SC from MGMAT SC guide8

by amateur Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 am

On page 120, question 5.
The editor of the local newspaper, who has earned much acclaim....

Isn't "who" a noun modifier and it should be right next to the noun it is modifying. I do understand the meaning on the whole but strictly by the rules learnt "who" is incorrectly modifying the noun "newspaper" instead of "editor". Can someone explain what I am missing over here. Thanks.
tim
Course Students

Re: A question on SC from MGMAT SC guide8

by tim Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

we have two modifiers for "editor", and they come one right after the other. this is perfectly fine..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

we have two modifiers for "editor", and they come one right after the other. this is perfectly fine..
Tim Sanders

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
amateur
Forum Guests

by amateur Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:18 am

Then why is that page 85 of the same book talk about modifiers to be on either side of the noun instead of being right next to each other? I am talking aboout George Carlin example.... Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 pm

amateur Wrote:Then why is that page 85 of the same book talk about modifiers to be on either side of the noun instead of being right next to each other? I am talking aboout George Carlin example.... Thanks.

try writing this sentence like that; you will realize pretty quickly that you can't.
amateur
Forum Guests

by amateur Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:16 am

Yes Ron, I do understand that I cannot write this sentence with modifiers on either side... So my question is questions in page 85 talks about not having two modifiers right next to each other but the answer in page 120 does the same (what was asked not to do in page 85). So can you help me clear this concept? Thanks.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:56 pm

Pg 85 (emphasis mine):

"Putting two long modifiers in a row before or after a noun can lead to awkward or incorrect phrasings."

This does not say that you can't put modifiers together. And the examples here are much longer than the modifier "of our local newspaper". Awkward or incorrect phrasings occur when there is a possibility for ambiguous meanings. This is not the case here as "of our local newspaper" is next to editor, and "who has earned much acclaim in her long career" must modify a person and not a newspaper.

More complex rules of grammar are often guidelines of grammar. Guidelines that help to avoid ambiguous meanings.
Joe Lucero