Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
nayak.purnendu
Students

A recent study has found amoxicillin

by nayak.purnendu Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:23 pm

A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing fewer side effects.

(A) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing
(B) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with
(C) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes
(D) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
(E) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

Can some tutor help me in examining each option - issues involved in the 4 wrong options ?
Specific doubts:
"found that X is" vs. "found X as" vs. "found X to be" ???
"and that it causes" vs. "and causes" vs. "causing" ???
OA: D
rohit21384

Re: A recent study has found amoxicillin

by rohit21384 Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 am

nayak.purnendu Wrote:A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing fewer side effects.

(A) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing
(B) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with
(C) amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, to be about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and that it causes
(D) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
(E) that amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, is about as effective compared to newer, more expensive antibiotics and with

Can some tutor help me in examining each option - issues involved in the 4 wrong options ?
Specific doubts:

Option E and B use incorrect idiom ....as......compared .....
it should be as.....as.
In option A
and causing is not parellel to anything

Option C
Following are not parallel
to be about ...................and that it causes

Option D
Correctly parallel.......is and causes are parallel
is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:40 am

rohit21384 Wrote:
nayak.purnendu Wrote:A recent study has found amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing fewer side effects.

Specific doubts:

Option E and B use incorrect idiom ....as......compared .....
it should be as.....as.
In option A
and causing is not parellel to anything

Option C
Following are not parallel
to be about ...................and that it causes

Option D
Correctly parallel.......is and causes are parallel
is about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causes

well done!
himangshu.roy
Students

by himangshu.roy Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:17 am

I would to add another reason for eliminating option C.

As per Ron's explanation about parallel structure with one part signal,
"the only words that are "locked in" are the ones directly FOLLOWING the signal.
as long as you can find the corresponding structure in the other part, then the parallelism is fine
"

Now in this case the second part is starting with that "that it causes" ,so the first part should have a "that", but it is missing, so they are not parallel and we can eliminate.
Please correct my understanding if I am wrong.

I have another question, in option A, what is the role of "as being" and why exactly it is not parallel with "causing".

Thanks in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:14 am

himangshu.roy Wrote:I would to add another reason for eliminating option C.

"the only words that are "locked in" are the ones directly FOLLOWING the signal.
as long as you can find the corresponding structure in the other part, then the parallelism is fine
"

Now in this case the second part is starting with that "that it causes" ,so the first part should have a "that", but it is missing, so they are not parallel and we can eliminate.

no, you're correct. nicely done.

I have another question, in option A, what is the role of "as being" and why exactly it is not parallel with "causing".

Thanks in advance.

good find - actually, "being" and "causing" are perfectly parallel in this instance.

but (a) is not idiomatic: "found X as VERBing" is not idiomatically correct.
purduesr
Course Students

by purduesr Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:27 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
rohit21384 Wrote:

For choice D, I thought that second part should have the word 'that' because the parallel structure should be study has found that x blah blah and that x

Can someone explain what this is not the parallel structure we should look for?

**EDIT** I read Ron's post post36200.html?hilit=the%20only%20words%20that%20are%20locked%20in%20are%20the%20ones%20directly#p36200

and understand that I don't need 'that' in second part because it's not 'locked in' 2nd half of the parallel structure.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:04 am

purduesr Wrote:**EDIT** I read Ron's post post36200.html?hilit=the%20only%20words%20that%20are%20locked%20in%20are%20the%20ones%20directly#p36200

and understand that I don't need 'that' in second part because it's not 'locked in' 2nd half of the parallel structure.

very good.

remember, folks -- if your parallel signal is a single word, such as "and" or "or", then you must verify parallelism from right to left. in such constructions, in which there is no signal marking off the left-hand part of the parallelism, it is impossible to tell where the left-hand part begins without considering the right-hand part first.
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:29 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:
himangshu.roy Wrote:I would to add another reason for eliminating option C.

"

no, you're correct. nicely done.

Thanks in advance.

good find - actually, "being" and "causing" are perfectly parallel in this instance.

but (a) is not idiomatic: "found X as VERBing" is not idiomatically correct.

Dear Ron - I eliminated A, B and C directly because after "found" we need "that" right? Please correct me if i'm wrong?

Option A

amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing

Also isn't the parallelism in option A is between "more expensive antibiotics and causing" rather than between "as being" and "causing"

because the thing that follow "newer" is a modifier right?

in option C

more expensive antibiotics and causes fewer side effects.
here the left part and the right part are both nouns right?

in option d

more expensive antibiotics and with fewer side effects.

here left part is noun and the right part is prep phrase hence not parallel correct?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Jp
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:06 am

jp.jprasanna Wrote:Dear Ron - I eliminated A, B and C directly because after "found" we need "that" right? Please correct me if i'm wrong?

nope. in fact, there's no such thing as a verb that must be followed by "that"; you can essentially always follow such verbs with nouns, too, in the right context.
read here:
post47979.html#p47979

also, there are often other idioms that work, too.
for instance, "found NOUN to be + description" is a perfectly valid construction. so, for this sentence, you could also write "a recent study has found amoxicillin to be as effective as..." -- as long as you wrote the second half in a way that's parallel to this.

Option A

amoxicillin, long a standard treatment for ear infections, as being about as effective as newer, more expensive antibiotics and causing

Also isn't the parallelism in option A is between "more expensive antibiotics and causing" rather than between "as being" and "causing"

whoa, no.

you can't split up "newer, more expensive antibiotics" -- that's one noun with 2 adjectives in front of it. when you have more than one adjective, they're separated by a comma (except in the case of really short words, like "big red truck"), but the whole thing is still one construction.

in option C

more expensive antibiotics and causes fewer side effects.
here the left part and the right part are both nouns right?

choice (c) creates a parallel structure with "to be about as effective..." and "that it causes..."
that doesn't work.
it can't be salvaged, since nothing on the left-hand side is parallel to "that it causes..."

again, you can't split up the construction "newer, more expensive antibiotics".

finally, "causes" here is a verb, not a noun.

in option d

more expensive antibiotics and with fewer side effects.

here left part is noun and the right part is prep phrase hence not parallel correct?

you're still splitting up the construction "newer, more expensive antibiotics".
but you are correct that nothing is properly parallel to "with fewer side effects".

--

honest evaluation time:

jp, from what you've posted here, it appears that your skill in parsing sentences (= figuring out which words are playing what role) is still somewhat deficient. in this sentence, you've (a) mistaken a verb for a noun, and also (b) tried to break up "adj + adj + noun" in the middle of the construction; before attempting SC sentences, you should at least get to a point where you don't make such mistakes.
i.e., it's ok to confuse things that are difficult to distinguish (e.g., the different kinds of -ING); that happens from time to time. however, if you have trouble distinguishing between nouns and verbs, you should take a few weeks/months away from the gmat and just read a bunch of stuff in english, in order to become more comfortable with the language in general.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:56 am

Ron, Manhantant experts,

A is wrong because "found...st as being " is wrong. Is it right?

Pls, tell me how the complement of the verb "to find" is used

find that clause. I find that I like you

find some thing adjective. I find you beautiful

find something something. I find you a good man

Is all above correct? pls, help
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 pm

My answers are below in blue:

thanghnvn Wrote:Ron, Manhantant experts,

A is wrong because "found...st as being " is wrong. Is it right?

Correct. As Ron mentions earlier in this thread, this construction is not idiomatically correct.

Pls, tell me how the complement of the verb "to find" is used

find that clause. I find that I like you

find some thing adjective. I find you beautiful

find something something. I find you a good man

Is all above correct? pls, help

Yes, all the above is correct--well done!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
alexwright1971
Forum Guests

by alexwright1971 Sat Jun 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Thanks a lot for this awesome information about amoxilin. I like to talk about [spam deleted] etc.

Alex Wright
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:15 pm

keep your spam off our boards!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
charmanineW924
Prospective Students

by charmanineW924 Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:21 am

I have a question here ,although I know it is a non-issue in this problem .
I cannot understand the modifier “long a standard treatment for ear infections”. What is “long” here ? is it a adverb ? What dose it mean here ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:02 am

'long xxxx' means that something has been xxxx for a long time.