Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
ZoeZ42
Students

A Role question - Renaissance Masters

by ZoeZ42 Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:30 pm

Dear All,
here is a role question from MANHATTAN problem set. (MANHATTAN CR, 6th EditionP 80, problem set 2)

Many people praise High Renaissance painting for creating very realistic images from observation, but scholars have documented that some High Renaissance painters used pinhole cameras to project the likeness of their subjects onto the canvas and painted from there. Thus, people who credit High Renaissance painters with superior artistic skills are misguided. Painting from a projected image requires only an insignificant amount of additional skill beyond that needed to copy a picture outright.

In the argument given, the two boldfaced portions play which of the following roles?

(A) The first is a finding that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is a claim that supports that conclusion.
(B) The first is a finding that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is that conclusion.
(C) The first is a claim put forth to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is a consideration that is introduced to counter the force of that evidence.
(D) The first is evidence that forms the basis for the position that the argument seeks to establish; the second is a claim presented to solidify that position.
(E) The first is evidence that forms the basis for the position that the argument seeks to establish; the second is that position.

OA is D.

when I read the solution, I did not catch all, please clarify for me, here is the solution from the MANHANTTAN:
Red words is MANHATTAN explanation, blue word is my confusion .
Thus, people who credit High Renaissance painters with superior artistic skills are misguided.
The word “thus” might mean this is the conclusion. The previous sentence only said that “some” painters did the tracing thing, not all of them. But this sentence seems to be condemning all of them.
Painting from a projected image requires only an insignificant amount of additional skill beyond that needed to copy a picture outright.
Okay, the last sentence was definitely the conclusion. This sentence is supporting the conclusion. If this is true, then yes, painters who use this technique aren't that great.

ok, As above, that means the conclusion is Painting from a projected image requires only an insignificant amount of additional skill beyond that needed to copy a picture outright.

(A) The first is a finding that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is a claim that supports that conclusion
MANHATTAN:
A “finding” could be a fact, and a claim is an opinion, so this one is okay so far -- contender

ok. Can catch the idea that claim = opinion

(B) The first is a finding that has been used to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is that conclusion.
MANHATTAN:
A “finding” could be a fact, and the conclusion is technically an opinion. But the boldface opinion is FOR the conclusion; it's not actually the conclusion itself. -- eliminate

ok. Can catch the idea that conclusion = opinion
Opinion is for / against conclusion, how come?
If conclusion = opinion, then, can opinion or conclusion for / against conclusion?

(C) The first is a claim put forth to support a conclusion that the argument rejects; the second is a consideration that is introduced to counter the force of that evidence.
MANHANTTAN:
A “claim” is not a fact. I can eliminate this one. -- Eliminate

(D) The first is evidence that forms the basis for the position that the argument seeks to establish; the second is a claim presented to solidify that position.
MANHANTTAN:
“Evidence” can be a fact, and a claim is an opinion. This one has to stay in, too. -- contender

ok. Can catch the idea that claim = opinion

(E) The first is evidence that forms the basis for the position that the argument seeks to establish; the second is that position.
MANHANTTAN:
“Evidence” can be a fact, but the second boldface is an opinion supporting the conclusion, while this choice says that the second boldface is the “position,” or conclusion. I can eliminate this one. -- eliminate

ok. Can catch the idea that opinion is not a conclusion, opinion is for / against conclusion
Wait, Opinion is for/ against conclusion ?
I am confused here, what's the relationship among conclusion, claim, pinion .

Compare (A) and (D)
MANHANTTAN:
Based on the fact / opinion technique, I can't get any further; I just have to guess between (A) and (D). The main technique can distinguish between (A) and (D): both boldfaces are premises used to support the author's conclusion.

Wait, the second is the conclusion at the beginning of the explanation from MANHATTAN, why the second one switch to be premise here
Answer (A) says that the first boldface is used “to support a conclusion that the argument rejects.” Eliminate answer (A).

thanks very much
have a nice day.
>_~
cgentry
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: A Role question - Renaissance Masters

by cgentry Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:09 pm

I think you might be misinterpreting the MPrep explanation in the strategy guide.

When the explanation says "the last sentence was definitely the conclusion", it means 'the previous sentence from the one we're considering right now.'

So the main conclusion is the second to last sentence, not the last sentence.

I hope this helps!