Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
herogmat
Students

Re: A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989

by herogmat Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:41 pm

Agree with you... any help from the instructors will be lovely...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu May 13, 2010 7:15 am

gmatprep14 Wrote:Well I had memorized this rule until I saw this question in MGMAT tests

that is not a counterexample to the rule that i posted above; please read my post more carefully.
in my post, i stated that you will not see the words "resulting FROM" after a comma.
that statement was particular to this combination of two words; other combinations, such as "resulting IN", are quite possible.
vinversa
Students

by vinversa Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:35 am

A study of food resources in the North Pacific between 1989 and 1996 revealed that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing sea surface temperatures during the same period.

a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

I think this is one of the reasons why (A) can be eliminated.
IDIOM = Suffering from a serious DISEASE (correct)
IDIOM = Suffering from a dwindling FOOD SUPPLY (incorrect)

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

GMAT answer is (B)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:52 am

vinversa Wrote:I think this is one of the reasons why (A) can be eliminated.

b) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, possibly as a result of an increase in

GMAT answer is (B)

i'm not sure what your question is -- or even if you are asking a question, for that matter -- but this appears to be accurate. in fact, this is a point that was made earlier on the thread:
post3894.html#p3894
violetwind
Students

by violetwind Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:56 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:

GMAT answer is (B)

i'm not sure what your question is -- or even if you are asking a question, for that matter -- but this appears to be accurate. in fact, this is a point that was made earlier on the thread:
post3894.html#p3894

I admit that food supplies themselves cannot be the result of temparature increase but, in A it is "dwindling food supply", can this phrase indicates an ongoing process that the food supply is decreasing, which can be the result of the temparature increase?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:05 am

violetwind Wrote:
RonPurewal Wrote:

GMAT answer is (B)

post3894.html#p3894

I admit that food supplies themselves cannot be the result of temparature increase but, in A it is "dwindling food supply", can this phrase indicates an ongoing process that the food supply is decreasing, which can be the result of the temparature increase?

no -- "from" is a preposition, so its object is still the noun "food supplies".
i understand that the intended meaning is very accessible to common sense here, but, unfortunately, the correct use of a preposition requires a noun that makes sense in context.
violetwind
Students

by violetwind Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:10 am

[quote="RonPurewal]
no -- "from" is a preposition, so its object is still the noun "food supplies".
i understand that the intended meaning is very accessible to common sense here, but, unfortunately, the correct use of a preposition requires a noun that makes sense in context.[/quote]

sorry Ron, but I still don't get it.... "dwindling" is an important description of "food supplies" and "dwindling food supplies" should be seen as a whole phrase, shoudn't it?

For example, I suffer from bad sleep these days. Is this sentence right?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 pm

violetwind Wrote:[

I think Ron may say that it's unacceptable to say that you suffer "from sleep", even though you do have the adjective "bad". The way to fix this is to say that you suffer from "sleeplessness", which is a noun but accurately describes the situation.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
violetwind
Students

by violetwind Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:58 am

jnelson0612 Wrote:

I think Ron may say that it's unacceptable to say that you suffer "from sleep", even though you do have the adjective "bad". The way to fix this is to say that you suffer from "sleeplessness", which is a noun but accurately describes the situation.

Sorry Jamie, but I still don't get it.....

I mean, if for Choice B, the "comma+ which" modifier is unristritive, which means that the meaning of the sentence won't be change much if that modifier is left out. Therefore I get that the choice B is problematic, as "Because of food supplies" doesn't show explicitly the problem of the food supplies.

But for "dwindling food supplies" (in choice a)or for "bad sleep" (in the sentence I made), the adjective is an restrictive modifier, which is closely adhered to the noun. In other words, the problem of the food supplies is very clear in this way---dwinding.

well, I don't really get it, could any instructor kindly shed more light on this issue? thank you very much!
saintjingjing
Students

Re: Bump

by saintjingjing Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:42 am

en, suddenly, I think I understand more
tw ousage of resulting in THIS SC,
A 1)"resulting from" can not modify the creatures of the seabed , similiar knowledge from OG12 emily's letters,
2)"resulting from" express a result , yes, as ron says, That creatures suffer shortage of food lead to a result--> increasing sea temperatures There is not logic. I remembered in PREP, a similiar problem about this point ( Ron says before)
C D E
he meaning is wrong, in C it only emphasizes that food supplies,
DE, only emphasize that creatures of the seabed
wrong.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:56 am

violetwind Wrote:
jnelson0612 Wrote:

Sorry Jamie, but I still don't get it.....

I mean, if for Choice B, the "comma+ which" modifier is unristritive, which means that the meaning of the sentence won't be change much if that modifier is left out. Therefore I get that the choice B is problematic, as "Because of food supplies" doesn't show explicitly the problem of the food supplies.

But for "dwindling food supplies" (in choice a)or for "bad sleep" (in the sentence I made), the adjective is an restrictive modifier, which is closely adhered to the noun. In other words, the problem of the food supplies is very clear in this way---dwinding.

well, I don't really get it, could any instructor kindly shed more light on this issue? thank you very much!

the issue of "restrictive vs. nonrestrictive" (i.e., the presence or absence of commas) is not a topic that is tested on the gmat, so it's best not to worry about it.
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:17 am

A is wrong because

comma doing modify the preceding clause.

"resulting" modify "suffering". This thing is not logic.

in B

"increase" modify "dwindling". This thing is logic.

Is my thinking correct?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:06 pm

thanghnvn Wrote:A is wrong because

comma doing modify the preceding clause.

"resulting" modify "suffering". This thing is not logic.

in B

"increase" modify "dwindling". This thing is logic.

Is my thinking correct?

Close! Choice A) seems to indicate that the food supplies themselves were resulting from the increasing sea surface temperatures. You are correct that A) uses incorrect modifier placement.

In B), the answer says "the result of an increase". "of an increase" is a prepositional phrase which would be describing the noun right before the prepositional phrase, "result".
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
agarwalmanoj2000
Students

by agarwalmanoj2000 Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 am

1)
I used the rule "Preposition + -ing is wrong on GMAT" to rule out option a, c and e. Please advice, whether this approach is OK or not.

a) that creatures of the seabed were suffering from dwindling food supplies, possibly resulting from increasing

c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

2)
This problem also has 2/3 split based on that, but I am not sure, whether it can be used to rule out option d and e. Is there any rule to know, when to use that and when not to use that?

Please advice.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:41 am

agarwalmanoj2000 Wrote:1)
I used the rule "Preposition + -ing is wrong on GMAT" to rule out option a, c and e. Please advice, whether this approach is OK or not.

c) that creatures of the seabed were suffering because of food supplies, which were dwindling possibly as a result of increasing

e) creatures of the seabed that were suffering because food supplies were dwindling, which possibly resulted from increasing

two BIG problems here.

1/
there's no rule that says "prep + verbING" is incorrect. where did you get such a "rule"?
if you saw something like that for some specific idiom (for instance, "because of verbING" is not ok), it's important not to generalize it.

2/
these constructions wouldn't be "prep + verbING" anyway, since "increasing" is an adjective describing surface temperatures. therefore, these constructions would actually be "prep + ... temperatures".

2)
This problem also has 2/3 split based on that, but I am not sure, whether it can be used to rule out option d and e. Is there any rule to know, when to use that and when not to use that?

Please advice.

no.
* depends on meaning/context
* basically any verb that can be followed by "that" + clause can also be followed by a noun. read here:
post47979.html#p47979