Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
Nishant.Chandra
Course Students

Abba Casabra

by Nishant.Chandra Fri May 29, 2009 11:01 am

If a and b are distinct integers and their product is not equal to zero, is a > b?

(1) (a^(3)b - b^(3)a)/(a^(3)b + b^(3)a - 2a^(2)b^(2)) < 0

(2) b < 0

Source: Question # 3 for Advanced Quant 750.

Here is the Explanation:

(1) INSUFFICIENT: To analyze statement (1), we must first simplify. Let's start with the top of the fraction:

a^(3)b - b^(3)a
ab(a^(2) - b^(2))

Recognizing the quadratic template x^(2) - y^(2) = (x + y)(x - y) allows us to simplify further:
ab(a + b)(a - b)

Next, let's tackle the bottom of the fraction:

a^(3)b + b^(3)a - 2a^(2)b^(2)
ab(a^(2) + b^(2) - 2ab)
ab(a^(2) - 2ab + b^(2))

Recognizing the quadratic template x^(2) - 2xy + y^(2) = (x - y)(x - y) allows us to simplify further:
ab(a - b)(a - b)

Putting the top and bottom of the fraction back together yields:

ab(a + b)(a - b)/ab(a - b)(a - b)
(a + b)/(a - b)

So statement (1) simplifies to (a + b)/(a - b) < 0. If a - b is positive (in other words, if a > b), we can simplify even further:

IF a > b:
a + b < a - b
b < -b
2b < 0
b < 0

Question 1: How did we get "a + b < a - b" If we multiply by 0 (because <0), then we should get a+b<0. So why did we assume that '<0' is '<1'

This tells us that b < 0 whenever a > b. The converse of this statement is also true. Whenever b < 0, a must be greater than b for the inequality to hold (try plugging sample values into (a + b)/(a - b) < 0 to verify that when b is negative, an a value smaller than b fails to satisfy the inequality).

This tells us that b < 0 whenever a > b. The converse of this statement is also true. Whenever b < 0, a must be greater than b for the inequality to hold (try plugging sample values into (a + b)/(a - b) < 0 to verify that when b is negative, an a value smaller than b fails to satisfy the inequality).

However, if a - b is negative (in other words, if a < b), we must flip the sign when multiplying through by a - b:
IF a < b:
a + b > a - b
b > -b
2b > 0
b > 0

Question 2: How did we get "a + b > a - b" If we multiply by 0 (because <0), then we should get a+b>0. So why did we assume that '<0' is '<1'

This tells us that b > 0 whenever a < b. The converse of this statement is also true. Whenever b > 0, a must be less than b for the inequality to hold (try plugging sample values into (a + b)/(a - b) < 0 to verify that when b is positive, a values greater than b fail to satisfy the inequality).

Since we have no information about the sign of b, we don't know if a > b, and we can conclude that statement (1) is insufficient.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: Simply knowing that b < 0 is not enough to determine if a > b. This statement gives no information about a.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: Since we know from statement (1) that a > b whenever b < 0, and since we know from statement (2) that b < 0, we can conclude that a > b.

I know that when we multiply by a negetive constant the sign becomes opposite. But what you have done above needs clarification.

I shall be awaiting your answers.
JonathanSchneider
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Abba Casabra

by JonathanSchneider Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 pm

Hm, I'm in agreement with you, Nishant. We would need that 0 to be a 1 in order to cross-multiply and have the "a - b" term remain. Currently, the "a - b" term would multiply by the 0 to yield 0. This is not particularly helpful, as we would then know only that a + b > 0 when a - b < 0, and vice versa. This, of course, is already known, as only such an arrangement would create the overall negative fraction. It seems we need to update this one.
ammarjavaid007
Course Students

by ammarjavaid007 Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hello,

Great explanation Nishant but theres something I'm not getting. I tried this question today and was able to simplify the first statement to (a+b)/(a-b)<0 and from here I proceeded to plug in numbers to test the inequality. It was my understanding that whenever a>b, b<0 but this doesn't apply for all numbers.

let a=-2 & b=-6

(-2+-6)/(-2--6) = -2 (satisfies)

let a=4 & b=-6

(4+-6)/(4--6) = -1/5 (satisfies)

but when a=10 & b=-6

(10+-6)/(10--6) = 1/4 (doesn't satisfy)

I dont understand how then that whenever b<0, the inequality will be satisfied. Maybe I'm looking too much into it idk. Plug in is usually how i proceed with these types of questions and it didn't work here.

Unless i've misread something or have overlooked a hidden constraint, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Can someone please help?

Thank you.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:30 am

Yeah, that derivation is weird.

Basically, we know that (a + b)/(a - b) is negative"”meaning that (a + b) and (a - b) have opposite signs.

Here's how I interpret this:

* If a - b is positive, then a + b must be negative (that's the only way you'll get a negative quotient). So ...
Negative < positive;
a + b < a - b.
I don't see a way to get there algebraically"”at least not any way that's halfway simple.

* If a - b is negative, then, using signs again, a + b is positive.
So...
Positive > negative;
a + b > a - b.
Again, I don't see an easy algebra way.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:31 am

Does the ANSWER KEY actually mention "multiplying through"? I suppose that's the real issue here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 am

Final insight:
Anything that's less than 0 is also, of course, less than 1. (Anyone who's under 40 years old is also under 50 years old, and so on.)

So, if I KNOW that (a + b)/(a - b) < 0, then I also know that (a + b)/(a - b) < 1. So, if (a + b)/(a - b) < 1 is sufficient, then, a fortiori, (a + b)/(a - b) < 0 is also sufficient.

(This is dangerous ground to tread, though, unless you know exactly what you're doing. For instance, if (a + b)/(a - b) < 1 is NOT sufficient, then (a + b)/(a - b) < 0 might still be sufficient!)
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:09 am

Hi, guys

(Ron, thanks for bringing this to my attention.)

The solution is correct, but it's not explained very well. I've just re-written it in the system so that the explanation actually makes sense now! I've pasted it below.

(1) INSUFFICIENT: To analyze statement (1), first simplify. Start with the top of the fraction:

(a^3)b - (b^3)a = ab(a^2 - b^2)

Use the quadratic template x^2 - y^2 = (x + y)(x - y) to simplify further:

ab(a + b)(a - b)

Next, tackle the bottom of the fraction:

(a^3)b + (b^3)a - 2(a^2)(b^2) = ab(a^2 + b^2 - 2ab) = ab(a^2 - 2ab + b^2)

Use the quadratic template x^2 - 2xy + y^2 = (x - y)(x - y) to simplify further:
ab(a - b)(a - b)

Put the top and bottom of the fraction back together:

ab(a + b)(a - b) / ab(a - b)(a - b) = (a + b)/(a - b)

So statement (1) simplifies to (a + b)/(a - b) < 0. Because the quotient is negative, one of the terms has to be positive and one has to be negative. If a - b is positive, then a + b has to be negative. In that case:

a + b < a - b
b < -b
2b < 0
b < 0

In addition, if b < 0 and a - b is positive, then a must be greater than b. (If you're not sure, try some real numbers to verify.) Therefore, if a - b is positive, then b < 0 and a > b.

However, if a - b is negative, then a - b has to be negative. In that case:

a + b > a - b
b > -b
2b > 0
b > 0

In addition, if b > 0 and a - b is negative, then a must be smaller than b. (If you're not sure, try some real numbers to verify.) Therefore, if a - b is negative, then b > 0 and a < b.

The problem provides no information about the sign of b, so statement (1) is insufficient.

(2) INSUFFICIENT: Simply knowing that b < 0 is not enough to determine if a > b. This statement gives no information about a.

(1) AND (2) SUFFICIENT: From statement (1), a > b whenever b < 0. From statement (2) b < 0, so a > b.

The correct answer is (C).
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep