Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
saketvaishnav
Students

Re: According to Italy's top anti-Mafia

by saketvaishnav Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:59 am

the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

what is- and near to those- referring to, does it mean- a town near to those he trusted? If that is the case, is it correct?how can a town be near to those you trust, those you trust might be living in a town but town near to those you trust- does not make a logical sense.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Please read Ron's posts on the previous page. There is one that addresses exactly this issue.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
poonam.khatri
Students

by poonam.khatri Sun May 01, 2011 5:10 pm

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

Isn't the usage of "the" before "The Godfather" incorrect?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat May 07, 2011 5:31 pm

poonam.khatri Wrote:According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of the "The Godfather" and near to those he most trusted.

Isn't the usage of "the" before "The Godfather" incorrect?

Yes, that first "the" must be a typo.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
chandolumanmohan
Students

by chandolumanmohan Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:00 pm

I am not able to understand what "near to those he trusted" modifies:
a) ailing mobster came to take a refuge in Corleone, near to those he trusted (Here it can mean he came near to people he trusted in Corleone, by coming to Corleone)
b) Town corleone was near to those he trusted --> This is the meaning which comes out from the option A, because of closeness principle..

To ensure the first option, which sounds more relevant to me, distance between "near to.. " and main phrase should be reduced and Corleone should be taken out... For this reason I thought E is better. But may be as pointed out above that phrases should not end with a preposition can be the reasn to rule out E.

Thoughts?
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:33 pm

chandolumanmohan Wrote:I am not able to understand what "near to those he trusted" modifies:
a) ailing mobster came to take a refuge in Corleone, near to those he trusted (Here it can mean he came near to people he trusted in Corleone, by coming to Corleone)
b) Town corleone was near to those he trusted --> This is the meaning which comes out from the option A, because of closeness principle..

To ensure the first option, which sounds more relevant to me, distance between "near to.. " and main phrase should be reduced and Corleone should be taken out... For this reason I thought E is better. But may be as pointed out above that phrases should not end with a preposition can be the reasn to rule out E.

Thoughts?

"near to those he trusted" is modifying "the town": the town is near to those he trusted. There is a lot of explanation on the previous page about why E is incorrect; take a look and tell us if you still need help.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
mcmebk
Forum Guests

by mcmebk Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 pm

tim Wrote:What you've done here is forced your chosen interpretation onto a question that allows two interpretations. If there are two possible interpretations of a sentence, you have to allow the sentence to take on either interpretation and not eliminate an answer just because it chooses a different correct interpretation than the one you wanted to see..

Hi Tim

Your answer did not answer anything, the degree it may have helped students is near to zero, if not misleading.

If there are two interpretations and both interpretations make the sentence grammatically correct, that means there is an ambiguity, and is thus wrong.

The reason why the "wrong interpretation" is wrong is not because the right interpretation is right, but because you can not say something "Famous because of the god father" and "famous because of near...." the latter part can only be parallel to "famous..." and modify the town.

Thanks.
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 pm

mcmebk Wrote:Hi Tim

Your answer did not answer anything, the degree it may have helped students is near to zero, if not misleading.

If there are two interpretations and both interpretations make the sentence grammatically correct, that means there is an ambiguity, and is thus wrong.

The reason why the "wrong interpretation" is wrong is not because the right interpretation is right, but because you can not say something "Famous because of the god father" and "famous because of near...." the latter part can only be parallel to "famous..." and modify the town.

Thanks.

mcmebk,

If you're going to respond on these forums, please keep it civil. If you don't like Tim's explanation, that's fine, but there's no need to respond like this. Second, I disagree with your counterpoint and agree with Tim. When there are two possible interpretations, you can't force one of those interpretations. If there's a second, better interpretation, we need to be open to that. That's the interpretation that you have above.

Thanks.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
LimeiC714
Students

by LimeiC714 Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:25 am

Hi instructors: I have some problem with the pronoun "those"
because Ron has said ( if I haven't misunderstand it) : compared to it, they, them (which can use alone), this,that, these,those must follow noun, such as those people, those flowers.
and the noun has to be mentioned earlier in the sentence, then you can use "those"
since the word those has appeared alone in every choices, I wonder whether this rule still apply.
thank you in advance.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:05 am

if something happens in EVERY answer choice, then it's a non-issue, and you shouldn't think about it. have you ever seen this issue tested in an official problem?
DeepthiS561
Course Students

by DeepthiS561 Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:32 pm

According to Italy's top anti-Mafia prosecutor, the ailing mobster came to take refuge in Corleone, a town famous because of “The Godfather” and near to those he most trusted.

Hi,

in the above sentence, why is "a town famous because of X and near Y" permitted? I felt that the construction "a town famous" lacked a connecting verb and that it should be "a town that is famous because of X and that is near Y".

Thanks
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Deepthi, your suggestion sounds better to me, but I think both can be right. I took some liberties with some variations:

Corleone, a town near the border...
Corleone, a town that is near the border...
Corleone, a town famous for cannoli...
Corleone, a town that is famous for its cannoli...
Corleone, a town famous because of its cannoli...

Actually, the worst part about that last example is not the type of modifier, but that "famous because of" sounds inferior to the "famous for" idiom.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT