Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

according to its proponents

by manhhiep2509 Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:38 am

Hello.

Please take a look my questions and help me.

The below sentences is part of the question 56 in verbal review 2. I modified it so that I do not violate the forum rule.

"According to x, yyyyy"

I feel that unlike other "V-ing", "According to x" does not need to refer to subject of the main clause.

Am I correct?

---

"aaa do bbb, according to x, with zzz"

If "according to x" is placed in the middle of the sentence, is it correct?
The structure makes me feel that not all the sentence is what x says.
---

(1) "According to its proponents, the proposed new plan is zzzz"
(2) "A proponents of the proposed new plan"

(1) is similar to the correct choice, so I do not question whether using both "proponents" and "proposed" is redundant.
However, how about (2)? is it redundant?

-----
My final question.

"the house, says John, is big"

is the sentence run-on?

Thank you!
RonPurewal
Students

Re: according to its proponents

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 am

manhhiep2509 Wrote:Hello.

Please take a look my questions and help me.

Hi,
Just post the questions, please. We answer these posts in a fixed order, from oldest to newest.
Thanks.

The below sentences is part of the question 56 in verbal review 2. I modified it so that I do not violate the forum rule.

"According to x, yyyyy"

I feel that unlike other "V-ing", "According to x" does not need to refer to subject of the main clause.

Am I correct?

Yeah. You shouldn't think of "according to" as a ___ing form.

"According to ____" (like, say, "in 1986") describes the entire sentence that follows.

You can figure this out just by using common sense, by the way. "According to ____" refers to something that ____ said or wrote, so it's clearly impossible for "according to ____" to modify a person or thing.

Why "feel" in boldface? I don't understand. (Is this a particularly emotional topic?)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 am

I'm sure you didn't just wake up with this question in your head. What is the problem that motivated it?
Please post that question (or, if it's an OG problem, the edition and problem number).

"According to ___" should still describe the entire statement that surrounds it. But this is a weird place to put "according to". If there's an official problem that puts "according to ___" in such a place, it would be nice to know which problem that is.

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:06 am

---

(1) "According to its proponents, the proposed new plan is zzzz"
(2) "A proponents of the proposed new plan"

(1) is similar to the correct choice, so I do not question whether using both "proponents" and "proposed" is redundant.
However, how about (2)? is it redundant?

"Proponents" and "propose" have completely unrelated meanings, so there's no issue of redundancy.

"Proponents" are not (necessarily) people who propose something; they are advocates or supporters.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:07 am

My final question.

"the house, says John, is big"

is the sentence run-on?

No. The structure is the same as if it were "John says", or "scientists say", or whatever.

This kind of inversion is an issue of style, not meaning or grammar, and as such will not be tested on the gmat exam.

Thank you![/quote]
manhhiep2509
Forum Guests

by manhhiep2509 Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

I'm sure you didn't just wake up with this question in your head. What is the problem that motivated it?
Please post that question (or, if it's an OG problem, the edition and problem number).

"According to ___" should still describe the entire statement that surrounds it. But this is a weird place to put "according to". If there's an official problem that puts "according to ___" in such a place, it would be nice to know which problem that is.

Thanks.

Thank you Ron.

All the questions is related to question 57 verbal review 2.
Why "feel" in boldface? I don't understand. (Is this a particularly emotional topic?)

I just emphasize that I am uncertain what I says is correct.

Again, thank you very much for all the awesome explanations.
tim
Course Students

by tim Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm

I can't tell whether you still have a question; if so, please let us know so we can help you further.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
shikhersingh002
Students

by shikhersingh002 Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 am

Hi ron,

I am new to this forum and very pleased with your explanations.
I am diehard fan of you for SC.

Well, on this question,.

I don't get how 'a proposed new style of aircraft could fly' will be correct in meaning.
Can you please have a look
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:34 am

Thanks for the kind words.

If you don't like "style" here, just think about "kind" or "type", either of which could be used in the same way.

E.g., if you write I don't know how to solve this type of equation, you're saying that you don't know how to solve any equation of that type.
If you want to make a broad statement about any aircraft/equation of a certain style/type, you're going to have to write the sentence like this.
JohannaH678
Course Students

by JohannaH678 Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:40 am

Hi there,

I came across this question as well in my OG Verbal Review 2016 #60.

I got this question correct but during my review of the problem I'm having a hard time proving it to myself based on splits and elimination rules alone. I think I got it right from ear/guessing.

I understand that B and E have clear opening modifier errors. Are there other errors in B or E?

I didn't like D because of the comma + with but I'm not sure if that is actually the reason it is wrong. Similarly I was leery of the use of 'its' twice which can be ambiguous but wasn't sure the exact rule or if there is a better split I'm missing on these.

If you could share if there are any rules that should be applied to this question that are applicable across other gmat problems that would be very helpful!

Thank you,
JH
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:35 am

I'm afraid we can't answer questions on problems from copyrighted resources here. I suggest that you consult your teacher (unfortunately this problem doesn't have a Navigator explanation).