Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
rustom.hakimiyan
Course Students

According to the writings of Thorstein Veblen

by rustom.hakimiyan Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 pm

According to the writings of Thorstein Veblen, the economist, the most reliable signal of a truly wealthy individual is his or her ability and willingness to engage in "conspicuous consumption"—to spend it in a way that is patently absurd or irrational.

a)Thorstein Veblen, the economist, the most reliable signal of a truly wealthy individual is his or her ability and willingness

b)Thorstein Veblen, the economist, the most reliable signal that one is truly wealthy is whether one is capable and willing

c)economist Thorstein Veblen, the most reliable signal of one's true wealth is whether an individual is capable and willing

d)the economist Thorstein Veblen, an individual's true wealth is most reliably signaled by their ability and willingness

e)the economist Thorstein Veblen, the most reliable signal of true wealth is an individual's ability and willingness

Hi --

I eliminated A and B because of the "it" in the non-underlined portion. We need wealth but the options have wealthy.

I eliminated D because of "their" -- we need his/her/one etc.

Two questions:
1)I can't figure out what's wrong with C?
2)Is there a difference between "signal of a truly wealthy individual" vs. "signal that one is truly wealthy" vs. "signal of true wealth" ?

OA is E.

Thanks.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: According to the writings of Thorstein Veblen

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:19 am

rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:1)I can't figure out what's wrong with C?

"capable and willing to..." is one problem.
that construction would only work if both "capable" and "willing" were compatible with "to xxxx".
"capable" isn't, though. (it's unidiomatic to say that someone is "capable to do" something; we need to say that someone is capable of something, or of doing something.)

what's probably easier to notice is the shift from "one" to "an individual".
this implies that a different individual is spending "one's" wealth!!
(if we're using "one", we're committed to using "one" throughout the sentence if we're talking about the same hypothetical person.)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:21 am

rustom.hakimiyan Wrote:Two questions:
1)I can't figure out what's wrong with C?

^^ also—you have access to an answer key, no? there shouldn't be any CAT questions without one.

i.e., it might be more useful to cite the answer key & say specifically what you don't understand. otherwise, i'm probably just saying whatever the answer key already says.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:23 am

2)Is there a difference between "signal of a truly wealthy individual" vs. "signal that one is truly wealthy" vs. "signal of true wealth" ?

Thanks.

the first is pretty much nonsense: we're talking about signals of wealth, not "signals of an individual".

there's no significant difference between the last two, since "wealth" can't exist independently of its possessor. (if wealth were something that could exist without belonging to anyone, then there'd be a difference.)
Navneet
Students

by Navneet Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:37 am

Is there is any difference in meaning between A and C
In A - xxx signal of xxx is his or her ability and willingness to engage
and
In C - xxxx signal of xxx is whether an individual is capable and willing to engage
Option E retains original idea

And could this meaning difference be a reason to eliminate option C ?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:39 am

Navneet Wrote:Is there is any difference in meaning between A and C
In A - xxx signal of xxx is his or her ability and willingness to engage
and
In C - xxxx signal of xxx is whether an individual is capable and willing to engage
Option E retains original idea

And could this meaning difference be a reason to eliminate option C ?

the actual signal-- i.e., something that people can observe-- is the person's ability and/or behavior.

"whether xxxx" amounts to the abstract idea of "yes or no", which is not a signal.
AndyH539
Students

by AndyH539 Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:42 am

Hi Ron,
Are both " Thorstein Veblen, the economist," and "the economist Thorstein Veblen," ok to use?

Thanks in advance
Regards
Andy
NeetuJ81
Students

by NeetuJ81 Mon May 16, 2016 6:31 am

I thought there is a shift of meaning in Senetence E.
E says : signal of true wealth is individual's ability and willingness to engage in "conspicuous consumption". I though if it says - if it is signal of true wealthy is individual's ability and willingness to engage in "conspicuous consumption", then it would be correct.

@ron : pl help
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Mon May 27, 2019 5:44 am

Hi Sage/ Manhattan Instructor,
Are both " Thorstein Veblen, the economist," and "the economist Thorstein Veblen," right to use ?

According to Ron,Manhattan expert, we should first focus on grammar to improve GMAT SC.
or
According to the Manhattan expert Ron, we should first focus on grammar to improve GMAT SC.

I tried to put 2 different construction in both of the above sentences.
Kindly help.

Regards,
Rahul Singh
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:44 am

Yes, both are correct to use. They are just different ways of providing 'extra information' about Thorstein Veblen (i.e. adding a modifier). There may be a subtle difference of meaning (one I'd have to think about), but that's more of a nuance than GMAT would expect a test-taker to notice.

Consequently, both your examples are fine, so long as you add "a" to the first one: According to Ron, a Manhattan expert, ...
RAHULS852
Students

by RAHULS852 Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Thanks Sage for clarification.
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:00 pm

You're welcome.
vishnuchaithanya11
Students

by vishnuchaithanya11 Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:49 am

Hi @Ron, @Sage,

I understand why capable to is unidiomatic and is one of the reasons to eliminate options B & C. But, I do not understand why usage of whether is incorrect in these two options. Can you please help me understand that?
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 am

I wouldn't describe the issues surrounding 'whether' in this sentence as an idiom issue (i.e. a wrong combination of words). It seems to be a meaning issue. The word 'whether' means something like 'might or might not' or 'if'. For example:
We were unsure whether to leave.
Our plans depend on whether they join us.

(More at: https://www.lexico.com/definition/whether)
The word 'whether' implies some uncertainty between two options, and that meaning is inaccurate for the above sentence. The intended meaning of the sentence is that the signal of true wealth is a particular way an individual spends his/her money, not the choice between two options.

However, as I write this, I realize that I'm describing a small nuance of meaning, the kind of thing that I'm pretty sure wouldn't be critical in a GMAT problem. Note how there are other, cruder problems with the answer choices, most notably the pronoun 'it' in the non-underlined part of the sentence.
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:44 am

My question: To confirm, I am assuming that the difference between "economist" versus "the economist" does not matter and is a trick "split", correct?