Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
vinayak.stalwart
Students

Adverb before verb

by vinayak.stalwart Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:32 am

In the MG Prep SC Guide, under the topic Modifiers (Page 89), I noticed the following rather innocuous sentence, which is supposedly correct.

I FREQUENTLY walk to the store.

Is this construction grammatically correct? I remember reading in (other) grammar books that adverbs come after the verb. As in,

He quickly ran towards the bus [is Incorrect]
He ran quickly towards the bus [is Correct].

Are there any exceptions to this rule? Am I missing something or reading too much into it?

Thanks,
V
-----------
Thanks, ~V.
tim
Course Students

Re: Adverb before verb

by tim Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:42 pm

the problem is that you're reading other grammar books. the GMAT does NOT agree with everything in every grammar book, so if you are reading a book that is not specifically based on the rules of GMAT grammar, you may well encounter a rule that directly contradicts a rule of GMAT grammar. in this case, almost everyone in the world agrees with you on this grammar point, but the GMAT doesn't. since the GMAT is responsible for giving you your score, whom are you going to side with? :)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html