elevinty
Course Students

Adverbial Participles-ing

by elevinty Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:30 am

Am confused about this topic for the following reason.
1) In one question, the official explanation indicated that a participle- ing separated by a comma could modify the preceding noun. For me, that explanation doesn't make any sense because the participle is acting as an adverb(please note the the participle came after the noun not before.). Consider the following example.

The patient was cured by the doctor, using the latest technology.
according to OE it is possible for the participle to modify the DOCTOR. Is it possible? probably "you" are going to say the sentence is wrong because the grammatical subject is the patient not the doctor therefore the sentence is wrong, but that is not my question. As indicated above, can the participle modify DOCTOR.

Another Example.

The doctor cured the patient, using the latest technology.
Is it possible for the participle to modify the patient?
Am trying to mimic the OG question 21 in the 12ed.
Of course, my examples are much shorter but still they hold the same construction.
??????????????
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Adverbial Participles-ing

by RonPurewal Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:27 am

it's true that a COMMA -ING modifier must modify the preceding clause -- IF it is actually preceded by a clause!
if a COMMA -ING modifier just follows a noun (almost always the subject of the sentence), then it will just modify that noun.
e.g.
james, flailing his arms, yelled obscenities at the fleeing bird.
here, "flailing his arms" just modifies "james".

--

the one exception to this rule is "including", which should be considered a preposition rather than an -ING participle.
e.g.
the president's fitness test is made up of 10 exercises, including sit-ups, push-ups, and pull-ups.
--> in this case, "including ..." just modifies "(ten) exercises", not the whole clause.
elevinty
Course Students

Re: Adverbial Participles-ing

by elevinty Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:38 am

Am flattered that you answered my question. The info about INCLUDING is really helpful, but am afraid you didn't answer my question.
Sometimes, it's hard to convey my question through the forum, but if you look at Q21 in OG12ed in options D and E, you will understand my confusion, especially at the official explanation.
I already asked 4 instructors before and nobody gave me a direct answer.