Verbal question you found somewhere else? General issue with idioms or grammar? Random verbal question? These questions belong here.
HemantR606
Students

Advocates - Idiom

by HemantR606 Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 am

Hello All,

This is a doubt inspired from Q38 in OG12.

One option contains the words 'advocates for'. Even though the option containing this can be eliminated on parallelism grounds, I have a doubt with the explanation saying that idiomatically, 'advocates' does not work with 'for'. I have tried to google this out but was unable to find any such idiom issue.

Is 'advocates for' really a wrong idiom?

Please help.

Add on doubt: I am not sure about the idiom 'inspired from' I used in the first sentence of this post too.

--------------
Thanks,
Hemant
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Advocates - Idiom

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 am

if you want thing X to happen, you don't "advocate for X"; you just advocate X.

you'll sometimes see "person 1 advocated for person 2", but that's an informal usage that's not universally accepted. so, GMAC won't use it.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:01 am

HemantR606 Wrote:Add on doubt: I am not sure about the idiom 'inspired from' I used in the first sentence of this post too.

"inspired by" (not "from").

this isn't actually an idiom; it's a perfectly ordinary passive-voice construction. (an OG item inspired your query --> your query was inspired by an OG item.)

"inspired from" is not a thing.
AmmuS624
Prospective Students

by AmmuS624 Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Hi,

I also read on Manhattan/GMATClub/BTG that "advocates" for is not correct idiom. Today i saw below news headline in CNN website . Is below sentence wrong ?

Jon Stewart advocates for health program for 9/11 first responders.

Regards,
Amm
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:32 am

Sure, the way CNN uses language isn't the same as the GMAT. That doesn't make it wrong; rather, GMAT follows a formal, slightly old-fashioned, and sometimes apparently arbitrary (but generally very consistent) style of English.