If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MMM125
Students

Age vs. Work Experience (LBS & INSEAD)

by MMM125 Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:05 am

Hey all!

It's still early for me but I am trying to decide when to start my MBA (target schools LBS & INSEAD). Basically it comes down to more work experience vs. higher age.

I have already spent almost 2 years on post-graduate studies (which I just really wanted to do because I found the topics exciting), so by the age of 30 I will only have 4.5 years of work experience (in entrepreneurship). I am contemplating to wait another 1-2 years to gather more experience, but then I would be at least 31 (graduating from LBS with 33).

I know age is just a number, but at what point would I be 'too old'? Should I start my MBA rather early or wait some more? I am thinking not just in terms of admission chances but also recruitment - I would like to go into consulting (MBB) after my MBA.

Thanks for the help!

Happy New Year's,
Marc

Here is my basic background, just in case (as planned by the time I begin the MBA):
    - Undergraduate and Graduate degree in EU and Corporate Law (Uni. Maastricht)
    - MSc in Innovation & Entrepreneurship (ESADE)
    - 4.5 years WE, mostly in the entrepreneurial sector (venture capital, venture development, co-founder of an own start-up)
    - GMAT 730
mbaMissionKrista
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Age vs. Work Experience (LBS & INSEAD)

by mbaMissionKrista Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:03 pm

Hey MMM

Thanks for your question, and Happy New Year!

So it's an interesting question...my thought is that three years of full-time work experience might be the right amount of time to apply for an MBA. Two years is a little on the low-side. 4.5 years is totally fine though and I think schools will focus more on your years of work experience than your age.

If it's any help, I had six years of work-experience when I started b-school...

Krista