Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
TianhongC34
Students

[SC]Although he played many memorable parts

by TianhongC34 Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:02 pm

This is a sentence correction question from Mgmat CAT.

23. Although he played many memorable parts in his half-century career, it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.

A. it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
B.Don Knott's portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" brought him TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
C.Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards for his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show."
D.Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards based upon his portrayal on "The Andy Griffith Show" of the bumbling Deputy Barney Fife.
E.it was his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.

The explanation is as follows in the CAT: In the original sentence, the initial clause is referring to (or modifying) Don Knotts, which requires his name to appear as the noun after the comma.
I am struggling with this concept. Does it mean sentences as follows are incorrect?
Although he was standing in front of me, I pretended not to see him.
Although she is strict with me, I still love her.

Plus, I chose E because I think the structure of" it was A that ... ..." is an emphatic pattern which is acceptable in the context.

I would appreciate if someone could kindly clarify this for me.
Thanks.
TianhongC34
Students

Re: [SC]Although he played many memorable parts

by TianhongC34 Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:12 pm

TianhongC34 Wrote:This is a sentence correction question from Mgmat CAT.

23. Although he played many memorable parts in his half-century career, it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.

A. it was "The Andy Griffith Show" and his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
B.Don Knott's portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" brought him TV immortality and five Emmy awards.
C.Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards for his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show."
D.Don Knotts earned TV immortality and five Emmy awards based upon his portrayal on "The Andy Griffith Show" of the bumbling Deputy Barney Fife.
E.it was his portrayal of bumbling Deputy Barney Fife on "The Andy Griffith Show" that brought Don Knotts TV immortality and five Emmy awards.

The explanation is as follows in the CAT: In the original sentence, the initial clause is referring to (or modifying) Don Knotts, which requires his name to appear as the noun after the comma.
I am struggling with this concept. Does it mean sentences as follows are incorrect?
Although he was standing in front of me, I pretended not to see him.
Although she is strict with me, I still love her.

Plus, I chose E because I think the structure of" it was A that ... ..." is an emphatic pattern which is acceptable in the context.

I would appreciate if someone could kindly clarify this for me.
Thanks.

Am I missing something? I have not received a response.