Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
JingziL752
Students

Although many video games are

by JingziL752 Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:37 am

Although many video games are situated in fantasy worlds quite unlike our own, others feature human characters that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do.
A.that embark on careers, get married, have their own children, just as real people do
B.who embark on careers, just like real people, to get married and have children of their own
C.who, just like real people, begin to embark on careers; they also get married, having children of their own
D.who embark on careers, just like real people getting married, and have children of their own
E.who, just like real people, embark on careers, get married, and have children of their own

I eliminated the choices between A&C. My question is that I don't understand why should we use "who". From my previous knowledge, "who" refers to people, and "human characters" is not a person.
This really confuses me a lot. Thanks in advanced!
PhuongD794
Students

Re: Although many video games are

by PhuongD794 Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:28 am

Hi JingziL752,

Although I could eliminate 4 wrong answers for other reasons (not using that/who split), I have the same doubt... waiting for satisfying answer(s)...

By the way, reading your sentences, I just wonder what you mean by "eliminated the choices between A&C". Do you mean that you eliminated 3 choices A, B, and C? Sorry, I'm an native speaker, being curious about strange structure...

Thank you.
I'm a newbie in this forum, so forgive me for any improper behaviors I may make. Thanks! :)
JingziL752
Students

by JingziL752 Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 am

PhuongD794 Wrote:Hi JingziL752,

Although I could eliminate 4 wrong answers for other reasons (not using that/who split), I have the same doubt... waiting for satisfying answer(s)...

By the way, reading your sentences, I just wonder what you mean by "eliminated the choices between A&C". Do you mean that you eliminated 3 choices A, B, and C? Sorry, I'm an native speaker, being curious about strange structure...

Thank you.

Sorry, I made a mistake here. I am not a native speaker. I mean that eliminated down to A and C. :)
Last edited by JingziL752 on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JingziL752
Students

by JingziL752 Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:47 am

PhuongD794 Wrote:Hi JingziL752,

Thank you.

By the way, I recently have found several similar questions, including an og problem ( "who" refers to the clans). I guess that "who" does not have to refer to the limited "people" definition. Things related to people are acceptable.
Hope I express clearly this time :)
Sage Pearce-Higgins
Forum Guests

by Sage Pearce-Higgins Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:16 am

Good discussion! The word "who" needs to refer to a person, but this doesn't mean that this is only the word "person". Look at these (correct) sentences (and make up a few yourself):

My cousin, who works in London, is a close friend.
That's the postman who delivers our letters.
He's the kind of joker who would do such a thing.
In the film, Tom plays a character who lives alone.

You can see that "who" can be used with a variety of words, but the meaning is always a person. The real key to this problem is noticing that we need parallelism.
yo4561
Course Students

by yo4561 Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:41 am

My question: This seems to be a similar question to the Mary example that I asked about previously ("Mary’s job is in jeopardy because of her mistake"). The possessive pronoun refers to the possessive noun. I believe that "its" must be referring to company and that if you used "their" in place of "its" that would be incorrect?
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:18 pm

yo4561 Wrote:My question: This seems to be a similar question to the Mary example that I asked about previously ("Mary’s job is in jeopardy because of her mistake"). The possessive pronoun refers to the possessive noun. I believe that "its" must be referring to company and that if you used "their" in place of "its" that would be incorrect?

Hi Yo, I don't see the example sentence with "company" that you are referring to, but
(1) Yep, a possessive pronoun can refer to a possessive noun. (Possessive pronouns can also refer to just (non-possessive) nouns, too.)
(2) Yes, they would still have to agree in number, which for "company" is singular, therefore "its" would be correct.
Examples:
The company's revenues declined 30% last year, thought its new product launch is likely to turn things around.
The company stated that revenues declined 30% last year, but cited its continued profitability as a victory in a tough economic environment.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT