Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
prashant.misra11
Students

analysis of an argument sample essays

by prashant.misra11 Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:14 pm

please anyone just review my essays i have barely 10 days left for my exam please can anybody help me point out my mistakes and in areas where i need improvement and an estimate of what would be an approximately score for the two essays i am presenting.an early response will be highly regarded.
AWA ESSAYS: Analyze Argument
ESSAY QUESTION:
The following memo was circulated by the management team of a retail company:

"We are very pleased to announce that the relocation of our inventory, which had been located in four different warehouses throughout the country, to a single new warehouse near Company headquarters in Boston. This consolidated location will cut the company’s expenses for warehouse rent in half. As a result we expect our monthly profitability to go up by this amount."

Discuss how well reasoned you find this argument. Point out flaws in the argument's logic and analyze the argument's underlying assumptions. In addition, evaluate how supporting evidence is used and what evidence might counter the argument's conclusion. You may also discuss what additional evidence could be used to strengthen the argument or what changes would make the argument more logically sound.

YOUR RESPONSE:
The argument above states that converting four different warehouses to a single warehouse would lead to a cut in the company's expenses for warehouse rent and as a result the profit of the company would increase.The argument relies on several unsupported assumptions and therefore fails to be logically persuasive.
First the argument assumes that the only possible reason that might lead to increase in the monthly profitability of the company is by changing the company's warehouse location which will lead to a decrease in the warehouse rent and increase the profits for the company by the same amount.There might be some other alternative reason that the company is having low profits.For instance decline in the product quality,higher prices leading to a sharp fall in sales,and low standard and cheap brand image are the causes the company may be facing which has lead to decrease in profits.
Moreover the argument never mentions what actions would be taken to reduce the expenses that would eventually lead to a decrease in the warehouse rent and how will such a reduction increase the monthly profits for the company.
Second the argument omits to provide any facts and figures regarding the expenses of company.one cannot easily presume about the expenses.Before the relocation the company may be having expenses which are possible to control but may be after moving to a single location the expenses and the warehouse rent increases by leaps and bounds thus hurting the company's goal to increase monthly profits.
Because the argument leaves out several key issues it fails to be convincing.The evidence in support of the conclusion does little to prove the conclusion that the monthly profitability will increase by a certain amount because it ignores the assumptions already raised above.Ultimately the argument would have been more strengthened if it included the possible action to be taken to reduce the company's expenses,what other factors are responsible for a decline in company's profit and citing other possible measures that could be taken to improve monthly profit instead of solely relying on relocating the company's warehouse.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: analysis of an argument sample essays

by StaceyKoprince Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi, thanks for posting your essays! Just an FYI that instructors don't grade or give feedback on essays (see the forum guidelines for details).

But I certainly hope other community members respond. Also, if you're in our class, you'll have an opportunity to get essays graded and get written feedback during the course (after class 6). Finally, you can get essays graded by GMAT Write (the official essay grading service from the makers of the exam) - they'll both grade the essays and provide feedback as to how to improve (for a fee). For details and pricing, go to www.mba.com and search for GMAT Write.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep