Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
Ramesh

Analysis of an Issue - Real world Examples

by Ramesh Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:12 pm

Hi,
I am able to come up with an pretty decent essay having an intro, two body paragraphs and an conclusion. But when it comes to quoting examples in the body paragraph I am found wanting. How can I improve on this ?
Can I quote pesonal examples [which might end up too narrow when the test graders reads] or should the examples only be general [like Steve Jobs of Apple] ??? Moreover, how can I work on quoting good examples ??

My GMAT test is on Aug 5th. So, kindly reply as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:16 pm

You can absolutely use personal examples - that's completely fine as long as you give enough detail in your body paragraph that the reader can understand why you chose this example. Also, if you choose a real-world example, it doesn't even need to be a business example - it could be something from history, or from a book you've read - even a movie! The source doesn't matter so much as the relevance and resonance of the example to the situation at hand.

One thing to help you with brainstorming examples: go to chapter 10 of OG11 and you'll find a list of sample analysis of an issue essays. Pick a random one and spend a few minutes brainstorming all the examples you can think of. Do one a night and after a couple of weeks, you'll have lots of ideas. You may even want to keep a list of your ideas, because lots of times you'll find that you can take one example or topic and use it for lots of different essay topics.
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep