Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
michaell423
Students

annouced that sb will vs. would

by michaell423 Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:05 am

Hi Ron, could you help me understand better on the two sentences below, both are correct in OG perspective.

1, John had long been expected to share more house clean tasks, but he just recently ANNOUNCED that he WILL share the house clean task by the beginning of next year, but only if Linda, his little sister, shares some of those house tasks too.

2, The company ANNOUNCED that its performance WAS better than analysts had expected and that its business WOULD improve in the sencond half of the year.

Does the sencend one use WOULD only because that it needs to be parallism with "WAS"?

3, The company ANNOUNCED that its business WILL improve in the sencond half of the year. Is this sentense correct?

Thanks, Michael
tim
Course Students

Re: annouced that sb will vs. would

by tim Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:19 pm

I'm not sure what your question is about number 1; you certainly haven't asked a question about it.

For 2, "was" and "would" do not need to be parallel. Don't look for parallelism where it needn't exist. You use "would" because that's the correct tense to get the meaning across. Please refer to our SC strategy guide section on conditionals for more information.

3 has no errors other than spelling.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
JhanasC520
Forum Guests

by JhanasC520 Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:58 am

michaell423 Wrote:Hi Ron, could you help me understand better on the two sentences below, both are correct in OG perspective.

1, John had long been expected to share more house clean tasks, but he just recently ANNOUNCED that he WILL share the house clean task by the beginning of next year, but only if Linda, his little sister, shares some of those house tasks too.

2, The company ANNOUNCED that its performance WAS better than analysts had expected and that its business WOULD improve in the sencond half of the year.

Does the sencend one use WOULD only because that it needs to be parallism with "WAS"?

3, The company ANNOUNCED that its business WILL improve in the sencond half of the year. Is this sentense correct?

Thanks, Michael

Hi,

I asked similar questions for Ron few days before, and Below is his answer and I think this can solve your problems too.

"Would" = something that was still a future event at the time narrated in the sentence, but is no longer in the future.

"Will" = something that's still a future event, even now.

E.g., let's say Marty is 30 years old.

When Marty was a child, doctors predicted that he would die before reaching the age of 25.
Marty is now 30, so this timeframe is entirely in the past.

Last year, the oncologist predicted that Marty will die before reaching the age of 40.
Marty isn't 40 yet (and is still alive), so, still a future consideration.
"Would" = something that was still a future event at the time narrated in the sentence, but is no longer in the future.

"Will" = something that's still a future event, even now.

E.g., let's say Marty is 30 years old.

When Marty was a child, doctors predicted that he would die before reaching the age of 25.
Marty is now 30, so this timeframe is entirely in the past.

Last year, the oncologist predicted that Marty will die before reaching the age of 40.
Marty isn't 40 yet (and is still alive), so, still a future consideration.
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:03 am

I'm assuming that we're all squared away now, since the original poster hasn't responded. Thanks!
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor