Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
robertefleck
Forum Guests

Antibiotic - Inference; Bad Question?

by robertefleck Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:12 am

This question is in relation to the "Antibiotic - Inference" question on MGMAT CAT.

Based on the information in the passage, which of the following statements can be inferred?

My Choice: European livestock and poultry are raised in more sanitary conditions than are those in the United States.

Correct Answer: It is possible for antibiotic-resistant bacteria in animals to be passed on to humans.

With this being a RC question I understand it is difficult to help without the full passage. However, I made the inference based on this qoute from the text: "In the United States, animals raised on industrial-scale factory farms are routinely administered low levels of antibiotics in their feed not as a cure for ongoing maladies, but primarily as a growth-enhancing agent to produce more meat and also as a prophylactic measure to compensate for overcrowded and unsanitary conditions." This, paired with the fact that the text says European livestock are not administered the same antibiotics, led me to my choice.

I did not see this as too great of a logical stretch. If Europe does not administer the antibiotic one or both of the conditions mentioned in the quoted passage must not be applicable. Either is equally plausible.

I did not find the explanation in the "Review" section satisfactory. Would someone please help. This seems like a question with two equally good answers (I don't dispute the answer MGMAT says is right). Thanks and sorry for the long post.
robertefleck
Forum Guests

Re: Antibiotic - Inference; Bad Question?

by robertefleck Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:06 pm

Any insight from the MGMAT staff?
tim
Course Students

by tim Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 am

Not if you keep bumping your post up. :) Remember, we answer these posts in order based on which one has gone the longest without being replied to. Reply to your own post, and it takes longer for one of us to get to it..
Anyway, "can be inferred" is a strong statement on RC - it basically means you are sure of the statement, not just that it is possible or likely. This is why your answer choice is not quite sufficient - you said you made a logical leap, and even if it is a small one, that is enough to keep your choice from being correct on a "can be inferred" question..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
sujianu
Course Students

by sujianu Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:20 pm

Regarding this question : Answer CHoice C: In the last paragraph it just says that " Europe is far ahead of the United States in the responsible use of antibiotics" , but doens't mention anything about the sanitary conditions in the European farms.

Choice A: The third paragraph just describes about the unsanitary conditions in the US farms , but it doesn't mention anywhere that the farms do not meet US Govt Sanitation standards.

The answer choice B - The end of the second paragraph "In the absence of human involvement, however, bacteria in the wild rarely develop resistance to antibiotics" , this statement clearly explains that there is still a chance for the growth of Anti-biotic resistant bacteria.

Answer choice D is worng - It is kind of obvious from the first paragraph ending.

We are left with choice E , even though it doesn't make much sense ( I agree with you ) .. that must be the one
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:42 am

Thank you sujianu. A good takeaway for RC is that you are often forced to eliminate four wrong answer choices and then take whatever is left, even if you do not love that particular answer.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
smith.alan00
Forum Guests

by smith.alan00 Thu May 19, 2011 7:19 am

Really very nice information you have given. Thanks a lot for this awesome post. keep working and posting variety of thread.

Smith Alan
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Thu May 19, 2011 11:00 pm

:-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor