Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
zarak_khan
Course Students

Re: As it is with traditional pharamacies, on-line drugstores

by zarak_khan Mon May 10, 2010 7:29 pm

Hi Ron,

D. As traditional pharmacies, so online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
Your comment above says "as" cannot be used with nouns. Can we use "like" instead?

E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore is prescriptions
Your comment above says that if we have NOUN is/are NOUN, then the noun that comes BEFORE the verb is the subject. Can you please give us some examples of similar constructions?

Thanks!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 28, 2010 9:35 am

zarak_khan Wrote:Hi Ron,

D. As traditional pharmacies, so online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
Your comment above says "as" cannot be used with nouns. Can we use "like" instead?

sure, but you'd have to kill "so" (it's unidiomatic to write "like X, so Y").

E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore is prescriptions
Your comment above says that if we have NOUN is/are NOUN, then the noun that comes BEFORE the verb is the subject. Can you please give us some examples of similar constructions?

Thanks!

sure -- these two should form a sufficient illustration:

the hardest part of the test WAS the first three questions.
the first three questions WERE the hardest part of the test.

(both correct)

note that both of these sentences contain the same two elements -- "the hardest part of the test" and "the first three questions". however, as you can tell from the correct verb choices above, the one to the left of the verb is accorded the role of subject.

be careful not to confuse this sort of thing with backward construction, in which the element to the left of the verb is ineligible to be the subject:

on the table ARE two cell phones
harder than anything else on the test WERE the first three questions
(both correct)
in each of these examples, the words to the left of the verb are ineligible to be the subject; therefore, these sentences must adopt a backward construction, in which the subject follows the verb. if you are not familiar with such a construction, the most common example (by far) is "There is/are X", in which X is the subject.
vjsharma25
Students

by vjsharma25 Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:56 am

Hi Ron,
I have a question regarding the meaning of the sentence.
Does the sentence means that "successful online drugstores rely on prescriptions" or "online drug stores rely on the success of prescriptions(for their own success)"?
Its a very subtle difference in my opinion,but wants your thoughts on this.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:42 am

vjsharma25 Wrote:Hi Ron,
I have a question regarding the meaning of the sentence.
Does the sentence means that "successful online drugstores rely on prescriptions" or "online drug stores rely on the success of prescriptions(for their own success)"?
Its a very subtle difference in my opinion,but wants your thoughts on this.

the original meaning of the sentence is that it's the drugstores that are trying to be successful.

interestingly, this is one of those things that native speakers will pick up without effort; i didn't even think about this possible double meaning until seeing this post.
in the idiomatic expression "to rely/depend on X to VERB", it's the subject of "rely/depend" who is trying to VERB; "X" is not trying to VERB.
for instance
i rely on drugs to stay awake on sundays
--> this is a correctly written sentence; the meaning, of course, is that *i* am trying to stay awake on sundays (i.e., the drugs are not trying to stay awake).
saintjingjing
Students

by saintjingjing Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Ron, I think "case" in correct answer refers to prescriptiosn are the cornerstone....

is it right?

and in correct answer, "as is the case with traditional pharmacies" , I think some words may be omited in this fragment, right?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:29 am

saintjingjing Wrote:Hi Ron, I think "case" in correct answer refers to prescriptiosn are the cornerstone....

correct, as long as you are talking about meaning when you say "refers to". (i.e., "is/was the case" is not a construction that requires a precise grammatical antecedent -- in fact, that's the whole point of this construction.)

and in correct answer, "as is the case with traditional pharmacies" , I think some words may be omited in this fragment, right?

as noted above, "is/was the case" is a construction that is allowed to stand for the entire idea in the rest of the comparison; it does not require any sort of grammatical parallelism, so there's really no such thing as "omitted words" here. (the concept of "omission" only makes sense when you are actually matching up grammatically parallel constructions.)
abemartin87
Students

by abemartin87 Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:42 pm

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health related items.

A. As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
B. As with the case of traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to have success
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore
D. As traditional pharmacies, so on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful
E. Like traditional pharmacies, the cornerstone of a successful on-line drugstore is prescriptions.

Hey Ron,

I am still not seeing the "lack of parallelism" that you've noted in (A). The "it" in (A) is a dummy pronoun, I don't think it is standing for anything, as it is the case in the second clause starting with " , since it is primarily prescriptions that ..."

(Note the usage of "as it is the case" in my sentence above :))

As you've noted " is/was/were/was/would the case" is very robust and can stand for entire clauses. In the correct answer (C), "is the case" stands for the clause "prescriptions are the cornerstone"

How could we fix (A) to make it parallel? A possible suggestion:

As it is with traditional pharmacies, with on-line drugstores ??
As it is with X, with Y ??
Thank you in advance Ron!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:50 am

abemartin87 Wrote:I am still not seeing the "lack of parallelism" that you've noted in (A). The "it" in (A) is a dummy pronoun, I don't think it is standing for anything, as it is the case in the second clause starting with " , since it is primarily prescriptions that ..."

nope.

the only constructions in which what you are calling a "dummy pronoun" is allowed are listed in the following post:
post49622.html#p49622

note that the second "it" (the one about prescriptions) is in that list.

(Note the usage of "as it is the case" in my sentence above :))

also wrong.

How could we fix (A) to make it parallel? A possible suggestion:

As it is with traditional pharmacies, with on-line drugstores ??
As it is with X, with Y ??
Thank you in advance Ron!

first --
in general, you shouldn't try to do this.
don't try to fix sentences!
even though this section of the test is called, ironically, "sentence correction", you do not need to be able to fix the sentences; you only need to be able to select the correct answer choice from the choices given.
trying to fix the sentences is an irrelevant skill set; if you do too much of this, it will distract you from the skill set that you actually need. moreover, most users' attempts to fix sentences create numerous other errors, many of which are outside the scope of what is tested on the gmat.

if you want extra practice using correct constructions, DO NOT rewrite the current sentences; instead, make your own (much simpler) examples that use those constructions.

--

neither of those fixes works, because the pronoun "it" is still incorrect.
Cranew1983
Forum Guests

by Cranew1983 Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:55 am

As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health related items.

Hi Ron, quick question. What does that "it" refer to?

Please advice. Appreciated!!

Crane
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Cranew1983 Wrote:As it is with traditional pharmacies, on-line drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health related items.

Hi Ron, quick question. What does that "it" refer to?

Please advice. Appreciated!!

Crane

see type #3 here:
post49622.html#p49622
jp.jprasanna
Students

by jp.jprasanna Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Ron et all.

As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore

One doubt here....

From the correct answer, can we say that parallelism is strictly not required - as in the clause that starts after the COMMA, in the correct answer C, starts with a NOUN "prescription", which is not the same class as "pharmacies"

So can we conclude for the usage of "AS" strict parallelism is not required?

But in the usage of LIKE, we need the correct class of noun immediately after the comma" No exceptions right?

cheers
vinny4nyc
Forum Guests

by vinny4nyc Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 am

Hi
In choice (a) , Why does 'it' not qualify as an indeterminate pronoun.

Ref:
pronoun-ambiguity-starting-sentences-with-it-t10018.html

Cheers
Vinayak
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:52 pm

vinny4nyc Wrote:Hi
In choice (a) , Why does 'it' not qualify as an indeterminate pronoun.

Ref:
pronoun-ambiguity-starting-sentences-with-it-t10018.html

Cheers
Vinayak

Ron answer this question with a link two spots above your post.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
jlucero
Forum Guests

by jlucero Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:56 pm

jp.jprasanna Wrote:Hi Ron et all.

As it is with traditional pharmacies, online drugstores rely on prescriptions to be successful, since it is primarily prescriptions that attract the customers, who then also buy other health-related items.
C. As is the case with traditional pharmacies, prescriptions are the cornerstone of a successful online drugstore

One doubt here....

From the correct answer, can we say that parallelism is strictly not required - as in the clause that starts after the COMMA, in the correct answer C, starts with a NOUN "prescription", which is not the same class as "pharmacies"

So can we conclude for the usage of "AS" strict parallelism is not required?

But in the usage of LIKE, we need the correct class of noun immediately after the comma" No exceptions right?

cheers

You're half right. Like does require a correct comparison between two nouns. No exceptions.

But as also requires a correct comparison, but with the entire clause, not just the nouns:

Snakes are reptiles as are turtles.
As turtles are reptiles, so too are snakes.

C compares how pharmacies and online drug stores both rely on prescriptions.
Joe Lucero
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

by thanghnvn Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:05 am

Why A is wrong?

in the phrase " as it is with..." in A, "it" can be used as in "it is good that I learn gmat" and "it" is grammatical

is my thinking correct? pls, advise.