Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
Mymisc
Course Students

ASAP: How to support my position in the issue essay

by Mymisc Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Stacey

I learned from our class that after we take a side we need to provide reasons/examples to support our choice. This makes well sense but I don't know how to apply it if I choose to disagree the statement.

For example, one topic given in GMATPrep is "the best teachers are those involve a lot of discussion". When I disagree, do I have to state explicitly what I think the best teachers are, or I simply discuss why we should NOT consider those the best teachers who involves a lot of discussion? I felt these are two totally different ways of writing. Here is what I mean:

If my position is to disagree and saying we should consider a broader criteria to evaluate the best teachers, I would support my position by saying why we need a broader and thorough criteria, why some other aspects should also be considered and illustrate the importance of each of these other aspects, and give examples to positively and directly support that point.

If my position is to disagree the given one but no specific on what I agree, I would support my position by saying why I don't agree on the given statement and why that give one is limited and shallow, what consequence would be by following the given view, what other aspects the given view ignores, why it is not good to ignore other aspects, etc., i.e. dispute, debate and against the given side.

I want to know whether my latter approach is acceptable on issue essay. Or do you think my two approaches can actually be considered "same" to each other?

Normally I fall into the latter approach, and feel like I am writing an argument. In addition, the latter approach makes me worried because our class says to support the side we choose with some paragraphs but give one counterexample from the other side and prove that is wrong. So my latter approach seems like I use my whole essay to against the other side, and that is supposed to be only one paragraph.

I fall into the latter approach mentioned above because it is too hard for me to summarize a new view I myself can agree. In the GMATPrep example, this is to define what the best teachers are. I feel my latter approach is more directly related to the given view under discussion. Or can I simpy define the "best" in any way and just support what I redefined, even that might be rediculous or far away from the original concern? Such as "I think the best teachers are those who can well connect to various types of students", or even "I think the best teachers are those who like travel" --- you see how far this thing can go, and how these two redefined views unrelated to the issue given, i.e. discussion. I am concerned this because 1) it would be much easier for me and I don't have to stay with my latter approach if I am allowed to "derail" to a great extend from the given issue cause I can simply redefine the issue to what I have things to talk about, without afraid that my new view is not thorough/sound; 2) if my latter approach is fine, I'd rather to stay with it, cause I am so familiar to write in that way now; 3) sometimes I don't exactly understand what the issue is in the given statement and wonder whether I can redefine the issue to something that I know about and try to find some simple/easy connection between the given and my redefined issue, without lower my score by talking about things distant from the given statement.

So, you can see I am so confused...I hope to hear back from you ASAP to have time correct my mindset on essay before my test coming up in two weeks.

Thank you for your advice!!!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: ASAP: How to support my position in the issue essay

by StaceyKoprince Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:10 pm

Quick FYI: don't use the forums for time-sensitive requests; it can take quite some time to get a reply. If you are a student, email your instructor or call or email the office (800.576.GMAT or studentservices@manhattangmat.com) if you need a quick reply!

For example, one topic given in GMATPrep is "the best teachers are those involve a lot of discussion". When I disagree, do I have to state explicitly what I think the best teachers are, or I simply discuss why we should NOT consider those the best teachers who involves a lot of discussion?

If you disagree, then you do need to talk about what quality does signify the best teachers. When essay prompts are worded in a way that gives only one particular opinion, often the easiest essay to write is one in which you agree with the statement. That way, you don't have to think about what quality DOES signify the best teachers.

Your task is not to ask yourself, "Hmmm, what do I really believe here?" That doesn't matter. Ask yourself how you can write the easiest possible essay for you. The best thing to do first is to brainstorm examples - any examples that apply to the situation, whether they agree or disagree with the essay prompt. As soon as you have two examples that support the same position, that becomes your position and you can write the essay. :)

Also, you don't have to give a counter-example. I never do; that's too complicated and I'm trying to make my life easy on the essays. You do need to "acknowledge the other side" but you can do that in your first and last paragraphs simply by saying something like, "Although it is true that discussion is an important component of any rigorous teaching curriculum, discussion is just one facet that the best teachers bring to the table in order to teach their students how to think critically. For example, ..."

Note: although I believe what I wrote above, I would never write it for a GMAT essay. That is a harder thesis to defend. It's much easier to think of a couple of examples that agree with the given opinion!

Also, you can redefine within reason. You still have to stick with the broad topic at hand, but you can define certain terms more narrowly or change the scope a bit as you see fit, yes.

They care most about whether you can (a) develop a coherent thesis, and (b) support that thesis with real-life examples. Concentrate on that and you'll be fine. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep
Mymisc
Course Students

by Mymisc Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:21 pm

Thank you very very much Stacey! Your suggestion will make my life much easier on the test--didn't realize that on my own.

Thanks!
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by StaceyKoprince Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:53 pm

You're welcome - good luck on the test!!
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep