Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Beatrice Michael

Assumption

by Beatrice Michael Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Economist: On average, the emergency treatment for an elderly person for injuries resulting from a fall costs
$11,000. A new therapeutic program can significantly reduce an elderly person's chances of falling. Though
obviously desirable for many reasons, this treatment program will cost $12,500 and thus cannot be justified.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the conclusion of the argument?
A. Among elderly people who had followed the program for only a few months, the number of serious falls reported was higher than it was for people who had followed the program for its recommended minimum
length of one year.
B. Falls resulting in serious injuries are less common among elderly people living in nursing homes than they are among elderly people who live alone at home.
C. A frequent result of injuries sustained in falls is long-term pain, medication for which is not counted among the
average per-person costs of emergency treatment for elderly people's injuries from such falls.
D. The new therapeutic program focuses on therapies other than medication, since overmedication can cause disorientation and hence increase the likelihood that an elderly person will have a serious fall.
E. A significant portion of the cost of the new therapeutic program is represented by regular visits by health care
professionals, the costs of which tend to increase more rapidly than do those of other elements of the program.

Hi

Can anyone tell me here vvhat should the assumption

Vvill it be right if I say the assumption is

1) A person can fall only once therefor the cost = 11000
Cost of treatment =12500 therefore the cost is higher and cannot be justified

or

2) After a person falls there vvill be no further cost becuase of the damage caused by the fall hence the cost of treatment is greater and cannot be justfied

just vvant to knovv the ansvver if I am thinking right

Please experts do reply

OA: C
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Assumption

by jnelson0612 Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:20 pm

Beatrice Michael Wrote: Hi

or

2) After a person falls there vvill be no further cost becuase of the damage caused by the fall hence the cost of treatment is greater and cannot be justfied

Please experts do reply

Well, I'd say closer to your second assumption. Let's break it down:
Conclusion: The therapeutic treatment program that will significantly prevent the possibility of falls cannot be justified.
WHY?
Premise: The therapeutic treatment program costs $12,500, versus emergency treatment costs of $11,500 when someone falls.

Okay, so the argument is saying that we can save $1000 by not preventing falls since emergency treatment costs that much less than prevention.

What is the author assuming? That there are no costs other than those needed for *emergency* treatment. Note the word "emergency"; it just seems likely that there will be other treatment costs besides the initial ones for a fall. Notice how C really attacks that assumption.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
Beatrice Michael

by Beatrice Michael Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Sure Thankyou that makes more sense the word emergency i did not pay heed to

jnelson0612 Wrote:
Beatrice Michael Wrote: Hi

or

Please experts do reply

Well, I'd say closer to your second assumption. Let's break it down:
Conclusion: The therapeutic treatment program that will significantly prevent the possibility of falls cannot be justified.
WHY?
Premise: The therapeutic treatment program costs $12,500, versus emergency treatment costs of $11,500 when someone falls.

Okay, so the argument is saying that we can save $1000 by not preventing falls since emergency treatment costs that much less than prevention.

What is the author assuming? That there are no costs other than those needed for *emergency* treatment. Note the word "emergency"; it just seems likely that there will be other treatment costs besides the initial ones for a fall. Notice how C really attacks that assumption.
tim
Course Students

by tim Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:27 pm

:)
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
XiaX387
Students

by XiaX387 Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:01 pm

Anything that will make the option to use the $11,000 emergency service more expensive will weaken the conclusion.
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Please let us know if you have a question on this one.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html