Math questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test.
dr_o

At Jefferson Elementary School, the number

by dr_o Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:38 pm

At Jefferson Elementary School, the number of teachers and students (kindergarten through sixth grade) totals 510. The ratio of students to teachers is 16 to 1. Kindergarten students make up 1/5 of the student population and fifth and sixth graders account for 1/3 of the remainder. Students in first and second grades account for 1/4 of all the students. If there are an equal number of students in the third and fourth grades, then the number of students in third grade is how many greater or fewer than the number of students in kindergarten?

12 greater
17 fewer
28 fewer
36 fewer
44 fewer

The explanation in the CAT, was good. my question is what should one do, when facing this kind of question.
When I saw this question, I thought "there are to many calcs that can go wrong, and it will take me no shorter then 2 min to solve it. I rather guess and use the time to make sure the next 2 or 3 questions are correct"

what do you think?
RonPurewal
Students

Re: At Jefferson Elementary School, the number

by RonPurewal Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:39 am

dr_o Wrote:When I saw this question, I thought "there are to many calcs that can go wrong, and it will take me no shorter then 2 min to solve it. I rather guess and use the time to make sure the next 2 or 3 questions are correct"

what do you think?

kill that noise.

you need to be able to do arithmetic quickly. if you can't do the requisite arithmetic in two minutes, then either
(1) you are spending too much time deliberating on how to set it up (perhaps taking a full minute or so to figure out 16x + x = 510)
or
(2) your arithmetic is unacceptably slow.

if (2) is the case, then you need to practice doing arithmetic until you can do it quickly. that practice will be unbelievably boring and mind-numbing, but it's necessary. if you are a total calculator jockey, you need to re-learn all that cool stuff you learned in sixth grade.
zguest

arithmetic problems

by zguest Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 pm

I was also slow on doing arithmetic calculations on this problem. Are there any sources on the web that have practice problems I can do to speed up my performance.

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

Re: arithmetic problems

by RonPurewal Mon May 26, 2008 10:09 pm

zguest Wrote:I was also slow on doing arithmetic calculations on this problem. Are there any sources on the web that have practice problems I can do to speed up my performance.

Thanks

not sure where you're at. if you're in the u.s., you could always try the math section at your local public library. the best place to find computational problems like this one is in a pre-algebra book, since 'pre-algebra' focuses on all that computational stuff that you have to learn before you can use scary variables.

if you go this route, then the older the book the better; in the last twenty years, math textbooks have become more and more of a joke (at least in this country, anyway).

if you're in asia, then i know that india and singapore have math textbooks for relatively young kids with excellent computational problems.
ryan.m.doyle

by ryan.m.doyle Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:42 pm

Hm, am I the only one that believes this question is unnecessarily long and uncharacteristic of actual GMAT PS?

I think this is an example of MGMAT layering too much into a question...

Maybe I am just slower than I think, but I can't even read the question and copy the calculations down in under two minutes.

I guess I could use some practice on these. Can staff point to comparable OG questions?

Ron, can you do this problem in under 2 mins or would you just consider this a problem that takes a little more time? If so, I might side with the original poster and avoid long winded PS all together...
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 am

ryan.m.doyle Wrote:Hm, am I the only one that believes this question is unnecessarily long and uncharacteristic of actual GMAT PS?

I think this is an example of MGMAT layering too much into a question...

Maybe I am just slower than I think, but I can't even read the question and copy the calculations down in under two minutes.

I guess I could use some practice on these. Can staff point to comparable OG questions?

Ron, can you do this problem in under 2 mins or would you just consider this a problem that takes a little more time? If so, I might side with the original poster and avoid long winded PS all together...

heh. i've been teaching standardized tests for 16 years, so you don't want to know how long it takes me to solve these personally.

i agree that this is a pretty long and obnoxious problem, but it's still good practice - it's not SO long and obnoxious that it should be disregarded completely.
there are certainly gmat problems that demand comparable amounts of work, e.g., this one
last-month-15-homes-were-sold-in-town-x-t4373.html
(which is also much less routine, calculation-wise, than this one, too)