Experiencing a writing block? Why don't you try clearing it up in here!
oschetrit
Students

AWA analysis of an issue supporting examples

by oschetrit Tue May 31, 2011 11:21 am

A question regarding supporting examples in the issue essay.

By now, I've read through several of guides and it seems that the ubiquitous advice is

Thesis & support statements (2 or 3)
Example/tie to thesis
Example/tie to thesis
[optional] Example/tie to thesis
Conclusion

My question is regarding the paragraph structure of the supporting examples. Is it preferable to state the supporting example and then give the relevance info and argument backing the thesis? (ie start paragraph with, for example)... or should make the supporting argument, then back it up with a supporting example?

I've seen it done both ways, just not sure if there's a 'best practice'

thanks!

Oren
george.kourdin
Course Students

Re: AWA analysis of an issue supporting examples

by george.kourdin Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:26 pm

i think that largely depends on style and not as important as your overall structure. i am not sure what you mean by support argument versus supporting example, but id err on the side of being literate/clear to the point of being remedial when writing these essays. to me that means that once we state that the argument is flawed because blah blah blah and list our thesis containing reasons 1, 2, and 3- > each paragaraph should basically start with that reason. thats the topic sentence of your paragaph.in other words, each para will start with one of the 3 reasons/points that you are trying to make and then you word vomit/elaborate on your point and give examples

again just my 2c, but i think that is easier to read. the reader does not have to dig through the pargaph to figure out what is your point.

not sure if that is okay or not. if not delete this but check out chineseburned AWA guide. google it.
StaceyKoprince
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: AWA analysis of an issue supporting examples

by StaceyKoprince Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:13 pm

Agree that you can organize the information within one "example" paragraph however you would like as long as the information is clear and the point you are making is easy to follow.

Basically, you want to make it very easy for the reader to understand your point, because they don't spend much time reading these essays - so make it easy for them to give you a good score. :)
Stacey Koprince
Instructor
Director, Content & Curriculum
ManhattanPrep