diegoreyeslopez
Students

begun/ has begun/ began

by diegoreyeslopez Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:56 am

I have a question related to the use of the verb begin. I will let you know two questions and it would be very nice if someone could help me to ask both and clarify the different uses of the verb.

1) An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major drought and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis.

a)to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago.
b) begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities.
c) begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities almost thirty years ago.
d)at controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities begun almost thirty years ago.
e) that has begun almost thirty years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil´s interior cities.

2) Depending on one’s point of view, the proliferation of the television is either a great advance in communication or an unmistakable sign that the decline in high culture begun before the War is still continuing.

a) decline in high culture begun before the War is still continuing.
b) decline of high culture begun before the War is still continuing.
c) decline of high culture that began before the War is continuing.
d) decline in culture in high places that began before the War is continuing.
e) declining culture in high places that began before the War still continues.

Thanks!