Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
vrajesh.dave
Course Students

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy

by vrajesh.dave Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:42 pm

Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than it did during the 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture to 1950.

B. Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

C. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which has been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

D. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began

E. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture

OA: A

Can someone explain me this one.

thanks
amitganguly2k12
Forum Guests

Re: Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy

by amitganguly2k12 Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:30 am

B. Between 1990 and 2000 the global economy grew more than that during 10,000 years, from when agriculture began - The logic of the sub-ordinate clause - agriculture began ...during 10,000 years is wrong.

C. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds that which has been for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture - 1.Exceed - used for abstract form of comparison - 'Her performance exceeded our expectations'. Here growth is essentially a numeric figure.2.Tense - Declarative sentence - 2 events.Previous growth figure since 10k years has seized to exist,as it has been replaced by new figure.So had been should come into play.

D. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeds what it has been for 10,000 years, from when agriculture began - Use of from is wrong.Since is better as an event of past is brought into present for comparison.Also the above mentioned reasonings apply.

E. The growth of the global economy between 1990 and 2000 exceeded what it did for 10,000 years from the beginning of agriculture - Use of did is wrong.Did is past participle form of do verb.Growth has indeed not performed any action as such.

That leaves A.

I leave the floor open for discussion,as my reasonings might be incomplete.
Thanks
acethegmat
Students

by acethegmat Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:41 am

This qs is from GMATPrep

Ron, Can you please explain this one.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:43 am

see here

since-1990-the-global-economy-has-grown-more-than-it-did-t552.html

weirdly enough, it appears that these two questions are identical other than in the very first words.
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:18 am

Hey,

Would anyone check whether I get the following right?
In choice A, "it" refers to "the global economy". I recall that the pronoun it can only refer to the same actual thing, so doubted whether "it" is correct here. But since A is the key, I would say "economy" is a changing noun as it performs differently in separate time periods. Does the analysis sound right?

I would also like to know, how to split the choices of this prep problem. When we sit for test, I don't think one should give any problem more than 2 mins, so knowing how to pick right answers efficiently is crucial!

Cheers!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:35 am

cshen02 Wrote:[color=#FF40BF]Hey,

In choice A, "it" refers to "the global economy". I recall that the pronoun it can only refer to the same actual thing, so doubted whether "it" is correct here. But since A is the key, I would say "economy" is a changing noun as it performs differently in separate time periods. Does the analysis sound right?

It's still the global economy.

You need to distinguish between (a) the same entity at different points, and (b) legitimately different entities.
People and things evolve with time, but, as long as you're still talking about the same people/things, you can use pronouns.

E.g.,
Tom is almost 6 inches taller than he was two years ago.
It should be clear that "he" = "Tom" is ok. I.e., Tom is not a different person because he's two years older! He's still Tom.

Or,
The air quality of Los Angeles is substantially higher now than it was twenty years ago.

Also ok.

If the noun has a timeframe attached to it, THEN any pronoun will carry that same timeframe. E.g., if a sentence contains "The air quality of Los Angeles 20 years ago", then "it" would carry that particular timeframe.
E.g.,
The air quality of Los Angeles 20 years ago was substantially worse than it is now.
This sentence is wrong, because, this time, "it" = "the air quality of L.A. twenty years ago". That's not something that exists in the present.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:39 am

By the way"”Please post in the default color, unless you are specifically highlighting something. Thanks.

cshen02 Wrote:I would also like to know, how to split the choices of this prep problem. When we sit for test, I don't think one should give any problem more than 2 mins, so knowing how to pick right answers efficiently is crucial!

Cheers!

The best answer to this problem is:
* Find a difference in the choices.
* If you can, use it to eliminate.
* Find another difference.
* Repeat.

We can't dictate an order in which you should examine the issues you find"”that's different for each individual test taker.

Just make sure that, BEFORE you look at any splits, you have a firm idea of the sentence's intended meaning.
From your initial reading, you should understand the intended function of every word that appears in the sentence. When you're examining splits, you should never have to stop and figure out the intended meaning"”you should already know it.
cshen02
Forum Guests

by cshen02 Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:51 am

RonPurewal Wrote:By the way"”Please post in the default color, unless you are specifically highlighting something. Thanks.

Thanks for your help, Ron! Yeah, sure! Will stick to the default color:)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:58 am

Ok.
TonyChen1984
Forum Guests

by TonyChen1984 Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:27 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

You need to distinguish between (a) the same entity at different points, and (b) legitimately different entities.
People and things evolve with time, but, as long as you're still talking about the same people/things, you can use pronouns.

E.g.,
It should be clear that "he" = "Tom" is ok. I.e., Tom is not a different person because he's two years older! He's still Tom.

Or,
The air quality of Los Angeles is substantially higher now than it was twenty years ago.

Also ok.

If the noun has a timeframe attached to it, THEN any pronoun will carry that same timeframe. E.g., if a sentence contains "The air quality of Los Angeles 20 years ago", then "it" would carry that particular timeframe.
E.g.,
The air quality of Los Angeles 20 years ago was substantially worse than it is now.
This sentence is wrong, because, this time, "it" = "the air quality of L.A. twenty years ago". That's not something that exists in the present.

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the fantastic explanation, however, this rule seems difficult for me who is a non-native speaker to remember.
I understand that this is the "The Deadly Five" rule mentioned in the Manhattan SC guide, but every time i saw such kind of thing it confuses me a lot. Is there a way to remember the rule for people like me? How do you native speaker understand the difference? More specifically, I would like to understand why "this", "that", "these ", and "those" are not carrying the modifiers attached to them?

The rule:
It, Its, They, Them, Their -> refers to subject with modifier
This, That, These and Those -> refers to the subject only
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:36 pm

TonyChen1984 Wrote:It, Its, They, Them, Their -> refers to subject with modifier

Yes.

This, That, These and Those -> refers to the subject only

Yes for "that" and "those".
"This" shouldn't be a pronoun at all. It should be used strictly as an adjective (this thing, this country, this idea, etc.)
"These" isn't normally used as a pronoun, either, except when it's impossible to group things in any other way without ruining the sentence (or making it impossible to read).
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:38 pm

More specifically, I would like to understand why "this", "that", "these ", and "those" are not carrying the modifiers attached to them?

This is the reason why the pronouns "that" and "those" exist in the first place!
They exist specifically NOT to carry attached modifiers, so that comparisons can be made smoothly.

E.g.,
The government of country X is more stable than that of country Y.
Can't use "it" (which would have to refer to the government of country X).
Hence "that", which is a tool specifically engineered to refer to "the government" WITHOUT the modifier. That's the whole reason why it exists.
ArmaanH201
Students

by ArmaanH201 Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Help!!!!

In option A
Shouldn't "what' be mentioned after "than"?
Thanks.
:D
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:10 am

ArmaanH201 Wrote:Help!!!!

In option A
Shouldn't "what' be mentioned after "than"?
Thanks.
:D

"Is the official correct answer wrong?"

No.
Paris,Texas
Forum Guests

by Paris,Texas Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:59 am

RonPurewal Wrote:

E.g.,

Or,

Also ok.

E.g.,

Hi, Ron, sorry to bump this thread again.

I'm confused on the 'if the noun has a timeframe attached to it, then any pronoun will carry that same timeframe'

er, according to above, why don't we consider 'between 1990 and 2000' a timeframe attached to 'the global economy' in choice A?

I know that official answer will never wrong, yet I just want to confirm that which constructions (such as 20 years ago& between 1990 and 2000) can be viewed as timeframe attached to the referent.

Thanks in advance.