Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
shin73mian
Forum Guests

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan op

by shin73mian Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:23 am

By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan operations, it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms.

(A) it is possible to determine how much effort ought to be devoted to each of a company’s products in order to meet its goals in both the short and long terms

(B) a company’s managers can determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of the company’s products in order to meet its short and long term goals

(C) it can be determined by company managers how much effort ought to be devoted to each of the company’s products in order to meet its goals, both short and long term

(D) it may be possible for company managers to determine how much effort should be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s short and long term goals

(E) managers at a company can determine how much effort ought to be dedicated to each of these products in order to meet the company’s goals in both the short and long term

I saw the other thread posted about this question which addresses the dangling modifier issue. However, choice B contains the word should. I thought that should refers only to moral obligation (SC strat guide 4th ed chap2 pg 21.) What makes this instance legitimate? Chap 9 idiom list only states obligation and leaves out the moral part. Please explain in detail. Thanks.
tim
Course Students

Re: By applying optimization techniques commonly used to plan op

by tim Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 am

simply not true. see #130 in the OG. i will alert our writers to the problem in the SC guide..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html