Verbal problems from the *free* official practice tests and
problems from mba.com
RonPurewal
Students

Re: By pressing a tiny amount of nitrogen between two diamonds

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:29 am

If you interpret that sentence as "___, but ____", then the parallelism is fine.

E.g.,
Matt is not a writer, but he is an editor.
If you interpret this as "not ___ but ___", then it doesn't work. ("Not" is followed by a noun, while "but" is followed by an entire sentence.)
On the other hand, if you interpret it as (sentence) + but + (sentence), then it's fine.

Same here.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:30 am

"Are" is also necessary in that sentence because of "simply".
"Simply" is an adverb that describes the fact that these things are random byproducts; i.e., it describes the verb "are". If you remove "are", then "simply" is an orphan with nothing to describe.
Haibara
Forum Guests

by Haibara Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:04 am

Ron, great explanation about the detection of "simply", which caution me to attend to details. But I guess that's difficult to detect in real test with short time, not to mention as a non-native speaker.

Paleontologist Stephen Jay Gould has argued that many biological traits are not the products of natural selection, because they enhance reproduction or survival, but are simply random by-products of other evolutionary developments.

The part following "but" is not a sentence, so
should I attribute it to the "__, but___" structure or the "not___, but ___" structure?

Also, do you mean that the sentence is correct as long as one of the two interpretations(or structures) makes sense, supposing no other grammatical or meaning errors exist?

Thanks very much!
thanghnvn
Prospective Students

Re:

by thanghnvn Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:21 am

RonPurewal Wrote:yes, it is.
[editor: see the long post below for a much more complete treatment of this idiom.]

keep in mind for future questions that it IS acceptable to phrase the expression that way!

however, it seems that there is a question in og10 or og 11, in which we have to choose between "keep but" and "omit but". This means keeping "but" is prefered not required ?

why gmat play this game?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:38 am

Haibara Wrote:Also, do you mean that the sentence is correct as long as one of the two interpretations(or structures) makes sense, supposing no other grammatical or meaning errors exist?

Thanks very much!

Yes.
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 am

Haibara Wrote:The part following "but" is not a sentence, so
should I attribute it to the "__, but___" structure or the "not___, but ___" structure?

I don't understand the question. What is the significance of "it's not a sentence"?

The "not ___ but ___" structure is not viable here (as already discussed), so you have your answer.
RonPurewal
Students

Re: Re:

by RonPurewal Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:42 am

thanghnvn Wrote:however, it seems that there is a question in og10 or og 11, in which we have to choose between "keep but" and "omit but". This means keeping "but" is prefered not required ?

Edition and problem number, please. Thanks.
zeal4mba
Forum Guests

by zeal4mba Sun May 18, 2014 7:32 am

Thank you very much Ron. I never knew this concept!
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 am

Sure.
FanPurewal
Forum Guests

by FanPurewal Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:43 am

ron, are you sure you are not an accurate computer? or digital something else??

amazing explanation!!
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:03 pm

FanPurewal Wrote:ron, are you sure you are not an accurate computer? or digital something else??

amazing explanation!!

Ron is a cyborg. That explains all of this. :-)
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
sahilk47
Students

by sahilk47 Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:49 am

RonPurewal Wrote:
shankar245 Wrote:Crystal clear post !.

But I have a small clarification in the example you provided.

the small child was relieved to hear that the rustling under the bed was caused not by a ghost but by his pet cat.

Are the parts high lighted parallel?
We have

by a ghost --> By + object
by his pet cat-->By + pronoun +object.

So when the right most part gets locked in, the pronoun also gets locked so should the left part must also have a pronoun right?

no. if anything were this strict, it would basically be impossible to write anything with descriptive language.

basically, as long as 2 parallel structures have the same basic form / grammatical role -- irrespective of add-ons like modifiers -- they're legitimately parallel structures.

e.g.

i have a truck and a bicycle.
--> parallel

i have a big, red, rusty old truck, which has been driven over 250,000 miles, and a bicycle.
--> still parallel.

Hi Ron

I was going through this entire thread and I had a small doubt. In the second example above, why didn't you put and between red and rusty ? Is it not necessary there ?

Thank you
NL
Prospective Students

by NL Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:01 am

Wow! That's a deep dive, Ron!…. Brilliant analysis about the most important "finger" for making decision in similar cases!

Seeing this example…..
RonPurewal Wrote:Matt is not a writer, but he is an editor.

…… I wonder whether the two structures "not… but" and "not only…. but also" have different meanings, but a common thing, which is a parallel form?
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:31 am

they have totally different meanings. if you are not only a writer but also an editor, then you are BOTH a writer and an editor.
ysyanshi
Students

by ysyanshi Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:40 pm

RonPurewal Wrote:"Are" is also necessary in that sentence because of "simply".
"Simply" is an adverb that describes the fact that these things are random byproducts; i.e., it describes the verb "are". If you remove "are", then "simply" is an orphan with nothing to describe.

Hi Ron, thank you for the fine explanation! But if "are" here is necessary because "are" is the word that "simply" wants to describe, then how about another sentence from GMATPrep:

"Introduced by Italian merchants resident in London during the sixteenth century, life insurance in England remained until the end of the seventeenth century a specialized contract between individual underwriters and their clients, typically ship owners, overseas merchants, or professional moneylenders."

I understand "typically" here does not modify NOUN, it is supposed to modify something like "being" which is omitted. Then Why here "being" can be omitted, but "are" in the sentence of the question is necessary?