If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
sheel3.singh3
Students

Can LOR be from a customer/client

by sheel3.singh3 Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 am

Because my most recent and a large chunk of experience has been at the client office can I request a LOR from my manager at the client company?
mbamission
Students

Re: Can LOR be from a customer/client

by mbamission Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:28 pm

Hi -

Thanks for the inquiry.

To answer your question, there are many instances in which a client can be a good selection for a recommender, particularly for a 2nd or 3rd LOR (if needed). It sounds as though, based on your email, that this person has been a "manager" to you and knows you well.

With that said, if you are not choosing your supervisor at the firm which technically employs you, then you may want to consider using the optional essay to discuss the reasons driving your decision.

I hope this helps.
Erin

Erin Schuhmacher
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
sheel3.singh3
Students

by sheel3.singh3 Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks Erin. That helps!
AnulS325
Course Students

by AnulS325 Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 pm

I am Currently Running 2 companies in one company I am a proprietor and in the second company I am the director.
the first company is based on mining and manufacturing, where the second company is automobile dealership of a big two- wheeler company.
whom should I take Lor from? as I deal with the client's of mining and handles the dealing with dealership provider company by myself.
I am working for 4 years. please help me as most of the college's ask for managers and supervisor recommendation. I am very confused.
mbamissionjenK
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by mbamissionjenK Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Hi there,
Obviously you can only do the best you can do; and certainly you should explain briefly in the optional essay the fact that you don't have a direct supervisor to write the rec. It won't be held against you as others are in similar situations, BUT you do still want strong letters of recommendation. SO think about people who would be well-positioned to write strong letters. Prior bosses, external partners, mentors, or if really needed a colleague or client could work yes. You just have to think about all possibilities in your own life and then prioritize and decide who would do the best job. Good luck!
Jennifer Kedrowski
mbaMission
www.mbamission.com
jen@mbamission.com

Register for a free 30 minute consult with an MBA Admissions Consultant: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php