If you have any concerns about business school applications, deadlines, etc. mbaMission Admissions Consultants will answer your questions!
MGMAT member

Career Question

by MGMAT member Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:05 pm

I am entertaining a spot at the MBA program at Hult International BS in Cambridge, MA. The program seems to have a strong global reputation, though not ranked in business week, etc. except for an Economist ranking. I am looking to focus into emerging markets-in a asset management or fund management capacity. Hult just opened a campus in Dubai last year. I am not an international student, but I think that I could gain a lot of exposure in EM living in the fastest growing country in the world, gain experience 2-3 years of experience and transition back to the US.
My concern is that the MBA from a non-ranked school. Would it be a big hurdle transiting back into the US job market with overseas experience with a non-ranked MBA? If so, should I get a masters say in economics from a top school or round out my resume after I return?
I am looking to complete my GMAT in July and I’m scoring range 620-680. I have 4 years experience in general portfolio management.
MBAApply

by MBAApply Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Your question is too broad to give any reasonable answer. It really depends on the nature of your work experience and what your specific goals are, the kinds of jobs you'd be getting in Dubai, and the kinds of employers you'd be seeking if you decide to come back to the US.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com

by Guest Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:59 pm

After the one year MBA program in Dubai, I would be contacting fund companies, PE or hedge fund opportunities that focus in emerging makerts region of MEAFE (middle east, asia, far east).--My interest is to help find investment opportunities for shareholders or work to help raise capital through private funding, market capital, for prospective client companies operate a successful business. (I know it may be broad, but I am not too familair with the diversity of financial companies in the UAE)

But after a 2-3 year stint-what are my chances in working at goldman sachs or hedge fund focusing in on EM with a Hult MBA?
Going back the question--After 2-3 years of solid experience in UAE, but with a non-ranked MBA hurt me coming back to the US?
MBAApply

by MBAApply Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:19 pm

It may not hurt, but it's probably not going to help you much with firms like Goldman.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
www.mbaapply.com
http://mbaapply.blogspot.com