Does the conclusion escape you? Has understanding the tone of the passage gotten you down? Get help here.
AMITP917
Forum Guests

Career Switchers

by AMITP917 Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:07 am

Hi,
This is an example from Manhattan Review SC Guide pg65 (Test Prep & Admissions Consulting-Joern Meissner 4th edition 2012) for which there is no OA.

Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to
graduating MBAs
(A) Career switchers often schedule interviews with high-level managers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers
available to graduating MBAs
(B) Career switchers, believing that the insight of professionals will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, often schedule interviews with high-level managers
(C) Career switchers believing that scheduling interviews with the insight of high-level professional managers will help narrow down the many choices of careers
available to graduating MBAs
(D) Career switchers, believing that interviews with high-level managers whose insight will help narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs,
often schedule them
(E) Career switchers often schedule interviews to narrow down the many choices of careers available to graduating MBAs, believing that the insight of professionals
with high-level managers will help them

I wanted to confirm with the experts whether the answer to this question is A? B appears to be a close contender (as discussed on a couple of other forums, but with no OA provided) .Somehow I feel that the -ing modifier (believing....graduating MBA's) describes the reason why career switchers (CS) who schedule interviews with high-level managers do so ONCE they HAVE done so. Option B seems to suggest as though it is a universally accepted fact that ALL CS have a certain notion (as described by the -ing modifier) and they all schedule interviews with HLM to realise their goals. In short, the -ing modifier seems to modify the action of CS scheduling interviews with HLM, rather than modify the CS themselves. Am I right?
Experts, your divine intervention would be most welcome...
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

Re: Career Switchers

by jnelson0612 Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:31 am

Hi Amit,
I'm trying to verify the source of this. You said that it's in our Sentence Correction strategy guide, yes? Is it version 4 or 4.1? Could you also check the page number? Thanks! We're happy to help once we can figure out where this question originated.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor