Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
j.r.ashish
Students

CAT 2 SC - Many Employee

by j.r.ashish Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 pm

Many employees in the energy sector must choose between jobs that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs in larger metropolitan areas.

1)that offer substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense though lower-paying jobs

2)that offer substantially higher pay, but that require long hours, physically taxing labor, relocation to remote or sparsely populated areas, or less physically intense and lower-paying jobs

3)offering pay that is substantially higher, but that requires long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocating to remote, sparsely populated areas, or lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

4)that pay substantially higher but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, relocating to remote or sparsely populated areas, and lower-paying jobs that are less physically intense

5)offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas, and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

In option E

The 2 entities which should be parallel, per the idiom
Between X and Y are
(1) Jobs offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas
and
(2) less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

How is "Jobs offering substantially" parallel to "less physically intense"?
j.r.ashish
Students

Re: CAT 2 SC - Many Employee

by j.r.ashish Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:17 am

Experts, pl help understand how option E is correct
jnelson0612
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by jnelson0612 Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:30 pm

j.r.ashish Wrote:The 2 entities which should be parallel, per the idiom
Between X and Y are
(1) Jobs offering substantially higher pay, but requiring long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas
and
(2) less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

How is "Jobs offering substantially" parallel to "less physically intense"?

What is parallel is:
"jobs offering substantial higher pay . . . . "
AND
"less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs"

So the person is choosing between higher paying jobs that are difficult and lower paying jobs that are easier. "jobs" and "jobs" (both with all the modifiers) are what is parallel.
Jamie Nelson
ManhattanGMAT Instructor
arushigupta712
Forum Guests

by arushigupta712 Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:10 am

Dear Instructors,

I believe that final two items in any list need to be separated by 'and'. When we analyze the option (E) I see following lists:

[jobs offering substantially higher pay, but requiring { long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to ( remote, sparsely) populated areas}], and [less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs]

Should not there be an 'and' in between:
( remote, sparsely)
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:42 am

arushigupta712 Wrote:Should not there be an 'and' in between:
( remote, sparsely)

No.

In general, you can take care of questions like this by opening up your OG to random pages (in the sentence correction section) and seeing what's there.

I just opened my OG (13th edition) to a random page. Didn't see something like this.
Flipped to another random page. There was #105 (a large, public audience).
Issue = settled.

Always do a little bit of basic research before posting questions.
WenjieZ514
Forum Guests

by WenjieZ514 Sat May 09, 2015 7:06 pm

Dear Instructor,

could you please explain in answer E, how to justify the comma before "jobs"

... and less physically intense, but lower-paying, jobs

would it still be correct to omit the comma?

Thanks
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Fri May 22, 2015 9:48 am

no, it wouldn't, but this is a non-issue on the gmat.

the presence/absence of punctuation is NEVER tested on this exam. so, no point in worrying about it.
JbhB682
Course Students

by JbhB682 Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:26 pm

In E, when I look at this list

i) long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas

Long hours | Taxing Labor
are concrete nouns whereas relocation is an action noun

Can these become a list ? Per my understanding these cannot be a list.

ii) On the modifier sorrounding regarding the Y element

less physically intense, but lower-paying

the modifier is following the X but Y idiom. Is X and Y adjectives in this case ?
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:49 pm

JbhB682 Wrote:In E, when I look at this list

i) long hours, physically taxing labor, or relocation to remote, sparsely populated areas

Long hours | Taxing Labor
are concrete nouns whereas relocation is an action noun

Can these become a list ? Per my understanding these cannot be a list.
Yes, they can be a list as long as the different types of nouns both make sense in the overall context of the root phrase. Sure, the "jobs offering substantially higher pay" are great, but there are several downsides: These jobs require long hours, they require physically taxing labor, or they require relocation. All work in context.

JbhB682 Wrote:ii) On the modifier sorrounding regarding the Y element

less physically intense, but lower-paying

the modifier is following the X but Y idiom. Is X and Y adjectives in this case ?
Yes, they are. They both modify "jobs in larger metropolitan areas" at the end of the sentence.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT