Verbal questions from any Manhattan Prep GMAT Computer Adaptive Test. Topic subject should be the first few words of your question.
Amit

CAT 2 SC

by Amit Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:02 pm

Unlike Mozart, whose funeral was sparsely attended being buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven’s was attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place lies in a famous Vienna cemetery near the graves of Schubert and Brahms.

The correct option is

E) and who was buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven was given a funeral attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and he lies buried near the graves of Schubert and Brahms in a famous Vienna cemetery.

The answer choice doesn't has a "he" as I have put in bold above. Is "he" not required here to refer to Beethoven

Thanks
Amit
rfernandez
Course Students

by rfernandez Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:55 pm

It's not strictly required. The reason is that we have an "and" structure in the sentence.

Beethoven was given ... and lies ...

It's clear that the second verb "lies" has the same subject as the first verb "was given."
reachdeepaky
Students

Re: CAT 2 SC

by reachdeepaky Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:52 pm

I am typing the whole Question:

Unlike Mozart, whose funeral was sparsely attended being buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven’s was attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place lies in a famous Vienna cemetery near the graves of Schubert and Brahms.

a) being buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven’s was attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place lies in a famous Vienna cemetery near the graves of Schubert and Brahms
b) being buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven’s funeral was attended by about thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place was near the graves of Schubert and Brahms in a famous Vienna cemetery
c) and he was buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven was given a funeral attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place lies near the graves of Schubert and Brahms in a famous Vienna cemetery
d) and who was buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven’s funeral was attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and his final resting place lies in a famous Vienna cemetery near the graves of Schubert and Brahms
e) and who was buried in an unmarked common grave, Beethoven was given a funeral attended by more than thirty-thousand mourners and lies buried near the graves of Schubert and Brahms in a famous Vienna cemetery

The OA is E. I understand that it is the best of the answer choices.
But i have the following question - IN SC guide its mentioned that only clauses starting with the same word should be made parallel. doesn't this question defy this rule? i.e. WHOSE funeral..... and WHO was burried are not parallel.

Please explain.
akhp77
Students

by akhp77 Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:05 am

Your point is right. But, here, it may be OK.

whose funeral was sparsely attended and who was buried in an unmarked common grave

Expert [Manhattan Staff] can give the detail idea.
tim
Course Students

by tim Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:00 pm

reachdeepaky Wrote:But i have the following question - IN SC guide its mentioned that only clauses starting with the same word should be made parallel. doesn't this question defy this rule? i.e. WHOSE funeral..... and WHO was burried are not parallel.

Please explain.

Prove it..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
prepgmat09
Students

by prepgmat09 Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:44 am

I am a non-native English speaker. I have a doubt regarding the logical meaning expressed in choice E. Isn't it illogical to say "Beethoven lies buried near the graves of Schubert and Brahms". Beetohoven is no more. It is "his final resting place" (as mentioned in choice C) that lies near the graves of Schubert and Brahms.

Could an expert please explain?
hiren.dhanak
Forum Guests

by hiren.dhanak Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:04 pm

E
tim
Course Students

by tim Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:03 am

prepgmat, you're right that Beethoven is dead and cannot do much. about all he can do is lie in his grave, and apparently that's what he is doing.. :)

C is wrong because it contains two independent clauses that are not separated by a comma. in other words, C would require a comma before the "and" to have a chance..
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html