DaleJ288
Students

CAT Exam # 6 - IR - Experiments-3

by DaleJ288 Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:45 pm

The third yes/no question on this problem states

"A research study involving interactions between people ages 5 to 65 and their animal pets would require as least 14 “yes” votes in order to gain approval."

The solution that Manhattan provides is below:

Statement 3: Yes. A study involving people ages 5 to 65 would require the approval of Committees 1 and 2. The pets would require the involvement of committees 3 and 4 (mammals and all other animals). All four committees must have a minimum of 4 members, and the researcher would have to gain unanimous approval from Committees 1 and 2 (4 votes each) and at least 3 “yes” votes each from Committees 3 and 4, for a minimum of 14 votes.

However, the prompt never tells us WHAT kind of pets that the people have. Isn't it possible that all of the pets are all mammals? Or maybe all of the pets are fish. How can we assume that the pets of these people consist of animals in both committees 3 and 4. If all of the pets are only from one of the committees, then it wold only require a minimum of 11 votes, not 14.

Please provide any feedback to help me understand. Am I reading the question wrong? Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your help.
tim
Course Students

Re: CAT Exam # 6 - IR - Experiments-3

by tim Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 pm

The research proposal seeks permission to conduct research on people from age 5 to 65 and on animals (which may or may not be mammals). In order for the university to allow the research to proceed under those guidelines (particularly when the university does NOT know in advance the specific ages of the people or species of the animals), all potentially relevant committees must sign off on the proposal. If one of these committees did not sign off, the research team could not carry forth with blanket permission to study people from age 5 to 65 as well as animals.
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
DaleJ288
Students

by DaleJ288 Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:38 pm

Thanks Tim, great explanation!
tim
Course Students

by tim Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:30 am

You're welcome. I'm glad it helped!
Tim Sanders
Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Follow this link for some important tips to get the most out of your forum experience:
https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/forums/a-few-tips-t31405.html
RonPurewal
Students

by RonPurewal Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:26 pm

i'm glad your question was answered, but, next time, please post the entire text of the problem as required by our forum rules. (for our CAT exams this should be no chore, since copy/paste is possible.)

thanks.