Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Sunil

Challenge Archive vs. GMAT Practice Tests

by Sunil Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Of the 250 problems in the challenging math archive and the 600(I'm assuming of the 1200 questions in the bank that half are math) math questions in the exam question bank is there overlap?

Also, what is the best way to ensure that we do indeed get to practice ALL of the questions in the question bank. I know that we can retake the tests, but what do you suggest would be the most organized way when considering the difficulty in keeping track of just how many unique questions you have encountered after each test iteration. Even if I were to take every test 2 or 3 times, it would be difficult to know just how many UNIQUE questions I have answered. I would appreciate any insight you might have.

Thanks in advance.

Sunil
dbernst
ManhattanGMAT Staff

by dbernst Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:21 am

Sunil,

There is no overlap between the challenge archive and the question bank, so don't worry about inflating your practice test scores by working through the challenge problems. As for your second question, I'm not exactly certain how to access all of the problems in the question bank, but, more importantly, I would not recommend doing so. As you prepare for the GMAT you should of course solidify your quant and verbal fundamentals, but most of your practice should be within the general range of your "ability level" at any given time. For example, if you are scoring 600 on your practice tests, it is counterproductive to spend an inordinate amount of time doing either 400 level or 750 level problems. Instead, you should shore up your basic knowledge to ensure that you do not make careless mistakes on problems less difficult than 600, and you should focus on accurately and efficiently answering questions in the 600-700 range. Moreover, I am a true believer in the "quality trumps quantity" approach. Rather than answering as many problems as possible, spend additional time reviewing the problems that you have already attempted. Generally, I recommend a 1:2 ratio for time spent solving a problem to time spent reviewing a problem (for example, a 2 minute quant problem requires approximately 4 minutes of review).

Please reply with additional questions, and good luck!
-dan