Study and Strategy questions relating to the GMAT.
Ray7981

Challenge Problems / Prep (Posed to GMAT Instructor)

by Ray7981 Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:03 pm

I finished up my MGMAT course in early May. I took the GMAT in May and will be taking it again.

I have two questions:

1) Is there anyway to sort the Challenge Problems by subject topic, so I can review all the relevant Challenge problems as I study key sections on the test (Number Properties, Geometry, etc) ?

2) I scored very well on the Verbal section (mid 90th percentile), and not so well on the Quant. I've read the MGMAT "Executing on your GMAT Prep". I was wondering if you could provide some specific information on how to best utilize the OG, Quant Guide (I've already completed about 70% of the Quant section in these guides), the Strategy Guides and the MGMAT website collectively to improve my Quant Score.

Right now my strategy is to review each problem type (Number Properties, etc) over the course of a few days, take the relevant OG guide problems for that problem type and then to try to learn to tackle the Challenge Problems for that section. Is this a good approach? I know that study plans are generally customized by that individual, but am seeking some guidance to most efficiently utilize my time to retake the exam sometime in late July.

Thanks for your time!
- Ray
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:21 pm

Hi Ray,

1) Currently there is no way to sort the Challenge Problem Archive by topic, although that's in the works.

2) You are right that it is difficult to give specific advice without knowing more about your specific situation. You may want to take advantage of the Post GMAT Assessments we offer (free) to our former class students who didn't reach their score goal and would like some guidance before re-taking the exam. If you would like to set up an assessment, contact Student Services (studentservices@manhattangmat.com)

More generally, you may want to check out another thread on this forum, where the subject of using Challenge Problems to study is discussed. Here it is:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/mgm ... -t423.html
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT
Ray

Thank you

by Ray Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:57 pm

Emily,

Thanks for your help. I've reached out to the MGMAT staff for the assessment and have one scheduled in a few days.

Also, thanks for the thread on challenge problems. One more quick question - what is the difficulty level of the questions in the Question Bank (does the difficulty level vary) ?

- Ray
esledge
Forum Guests

by esledge Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:55 pm

Hi Ray,

Sorry for the delayed response regarding the difficulty level. Correct me if I'm misinterpreting, but I think you are asking about the difficulty level of the Challenge Problems in the archive. Those are all 700+ level and they do vary in difficulty. Some are harder than what you would see on the GMAT, thus could be considered 850 level (if such a thing existed). They are not categorized by difficulty, though.
Emily Sledge
Instructor
ManhattanGMAT